Share with people, it is fun and sets a good impression

Reaction score
Most people are curious about quadcopters. This group came up to me and asked about it. Explained how it works and took some sunset pictures for them. It is fun to share with people and give them a good impression about drones and our hobby

Attachments

• G0076249_1.jpg
    G0076249_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 482
  • G0076244_1.jpg
    G0076244_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 502
  • G0076236_1.jpg
    G0076236_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 516
  • G0086263_1.jpg
    G0086263_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 529
  • G0086268_1.jpg
    G0086268_1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 581
This group asked for some pictures, they loved them. Sharing with people is a fun part of our hobby.

Attachments

• G0096308_1.jpg
    G0096308_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 494
  • G0096363_1.jpg
    G0096363_1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 484
  • G0096326_1.jpg
    G0096326_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 520
  • G0096288_1.jpg
    G0096288_1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 501
Soon to be outlawed in Mississippi apparently...

I've had a few good conversations with people at the park when I fly my Phantom. They seem curious about it.

But I also have seen people get rather annoyed and angry that I'm flying a machine over their heads.

My general rule of thumb is to fly at a public park during weekday hours like 10am-3pm. That is the time of day when most people are at work. Whenever I tried flying on weekends, the parks are crowded and I felt more uncomfortable flying a noisy Phantom over their heads and presuming everyone enjoyed that. In fact, I'm getting more convinced people don't like it and I'm just asking for confrontations and trouble.

I think that's why I love long-distance flying so much now. People in the park just see me standing there with a plastic controller in my hands and dont see or hear a Phantom.

MadMitch88 said:
I've had a few good conversations with people at the park when I fly my Phantom. They seem curious about it.

But I also have seen people get rather annoyed and angry that I'm flying a machine over their heads.

My general rule of thumb is to fly at a public park during weekday hours like 10am-3pm. That is the time of day when most people are at work. Whenever I tried flying on weekends, the parks are crowded and I felt more uncomfortable flying a noisy Phantom over their heads and presuming everyone enjoyed that. In fact, I'm getting more convinced people don't like it and I'm just asking for confrontations and trouble.

I think that's why I love long-distance flying so much now. People in the park just see me standing there with a plastic controller in my hands and dont see or hear a Phantom.

You don't get a lunch crowd coming to the park? (and, I guess I should state that I DO believe in God!)

The Lakefront park where I go is 50 yards wide and 2 miles long along the water, plenty of space for everyone. I mostly stay over the water. I have not had a single negative experience where someone complained or seemd disturbed.

mendezl said:
The Lakefront park where I go is 50 yards wide and 2 miles long along the water, plenty of space for everyone. I mostly stay over the water. I have not had a single negative experience where someone complained or seemd disturbed.

I agree that would probably be the best way to fly a Phantom in a public park. Keep it over the water and they feel safer.

From my experience, people get most irate when you fly directly over their heads at less than 150' AGL. Not sure if they presume it might come crashing down on them, or I'm trying to spy on them, but they dont seem to appreciate it very much. I think the buzzing noise also irritates them. So I've stopped doing that. Most of my enjoyment now comes from going up to 300' AGL and flying long distance. You can barely hear it at that height, and you need to have good eyes to see it.

Does anyone else have business cards?

I had a few hundred cards printed up with my YouTube channel URL on top of a nice aerial shot of Newport Beach, CA.

So that way when people ask about my quad, either I or my wife give them one of the cards.

Then they can check out the videos for themselves and see that "drones" are just fun tools for capturing beautiful aerial videos and not something sinister.

MadMitch88 said:
My general rule of thumb is to fly at a public park during weekday hours like 10am-3pm. That is the time of day when most people are at work.

Yeah I find it much easier to fly in the week. When I fly I make sure I am all done well before 3pm when all hell breaks loose as the kids pile out of the schools. Nice and quiet at 2pm I find, and at this time of year here in the UK is the warmest and brightest part of the day too.

Hughie said:
Yeah I find it much easier to fly in the week. When I fly I make sure I am all done well before 3pm when all hell breaks loose as the kids pile out of the schools. Nice and quiet at 2pm I find, and at this time of year here in the UK is the warmest and brightest part of the day too.

Yes, the sweet spot is 1pm-3pm on weekdays. Most of the public parks in my area are empty during those times, which makes for a lot of peaceful flying. :D

I don't mind kids coming up and asking me questions, but I've had a few of them grab the sticks during a flight and that irritates me. They also ask a lot of stupid questions like "I got $50 saved up so I can buy one?" and "Can you do flips and loop de loops with that?". Children should be seen and not heard!

I usually fly on my own private property, but the few times I did take it to other places, I was usually by myself or there might've been 1-3 people around the area. I've only had 2 times so far where someone actually came up to me. The first time was just a couple of kids asking how high it could go, how much is it, and so on, and the other time was when someone seen it in the air and drove around until they found me to ask about it. (just asked the typical how much/how high/where to buy questions as well) However, the second time, a cop pulled up behind the person talking to me in their car and they just looked at the phantom (I was holding it at the time) and drove off. After the cop left, I just called it a day and left to avoid any potential conflict. I also brought it to school a few times and everyone seems to really be interested in it, and I always have to do a flight demo for them. I think it's funny how I always hear someone say (I gotta get one of those) but I've yet to see another phantom flying around anywhere. I know there's at least 2 people with phantoms near me thanks to a youtube search, but I never see them out flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.