Shakes and vibes

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals
Had my p3a for about a month now, great fun, but a few flights ago I noticed the copter has got terrible vibrations, I don't think it's the gimble I thinks it's the quad itself but it does cause the camera to vibrate aswell, the footage I get is all good with no shake. Any help out there, do props need to be balanced ? First few flights were good no probe and I haven't had any crashes or bumps. Help always greatful.
Cheers peeps

Hi - yup the props can requiring balancing - especially if one or all ever made contact with anything while flying or hitting the ground on landing - heck, sometimes right out of the box. Just Google for info or search on this site for "P3 Prop Balancing"

If you have confirmed the issue is not the gimbal the next step is to check your props.

There are balancing rigs out there to purchase - however since all you are doing is a "static balance" and if you are able to fit the prop hub onto a rod of some type you could for the time being - mount the prop on a rod then lay the rod or whatever you use on the end of a table (prop hanging over the edge) and look to see the "heavy side" of the prop drop down. Once identified just lightly sand the tip of the heavy prop to bring it into a balance condition.

You really have to make sure there is little or no resistance here for the rod with the prop installed or the surface you have it on that would prevent the heavy side from rotating downward. The above is only for a quick check on the balance condition - obviously "knife edge" rollers of some type offer the least resistance and are suggested.

When checking the prop before or after balancing it - rotate the rod with prop installed on the end of the table starting with a "marked" prop (pen or whatever) at the top and see what it does - then rotate that prop 90 degrees and again observe - again another 90 degrees - repeat until you have rotated 360 degrees stopping at each 90 degree location.

If your Phantom is shaking that bad and if it is prop related - you will quickly identify the offending one. If the props don't show as any out of balance condition - double check all your hardware on the Phantom - check none your motor shafts are bent - check all the hubs for the props for any slight cracks.

Thanks for replying, very helpful, will get on it. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check your firmware.
There is known vibration issues with P3P on firmware 1.5. You can go up or down 1 firmware and that may help.
Another option would be to drop your vertical gains to 90 (Expo and Gain Settings)

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Does it vibrate on a flat surface with the props turning?
Remove the props and see if the vibration is still there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic