SFOC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am mainly looking for input from people in Canada. I am starting to create my first SFOC for a flight that will happen sometime in late April/early May. I'm wondering what suggestions you have for the process. I have a sample that I'm creating from. I currently don't own a business it is a flight for a fundraiser. I am just looking to have this process go as smoothly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

TC will likely deny if you are intending to fly over populated/built up area, not a trained pilot, don't have some UAV or aviator training, also drone weight matters(bigger =harder) as does outside LOS operation. Liability insurance is required and proof of it.
So stay away from those requests in your application and think safety, safety, safety to at least the level of unhealthy paranoia and you will be close.

Due to the hoops/red tape many companies now exist that do the SFOC applications. They won't even guarantee approval and charge 1000-1500 CDN + 13% tax (Bantario)when /if they deliver the SFOC.

In summary, stay away from auto-denial type requests, think safety to extreme, write it well and wait and see.

What is considered built up? I am looking to fly over a small 200ft section of a neighbourhood. The houses are approximately 20 - 30 ft apart. It will be completely LOS with a ground operations manager separate from me the pilot. I have no intentions to pay for a SFOC. Also what would it cost to do a uav training course? And what is the time frame for that? And insurance is coming soon looking for a good quote.

Just a question, what is SFOC?

What is considered built up? I am looking to fly over a small 200ft section of a neighbourhood. The houses are approximately 20 - 30 ft apart. It will be completely LOS with a ground operations manager separate from me the pilot. I have no intentions to pay for a SFOC. Also what would it cost to do a uav training course? And what is the time frame for that? And insurance is coming soon looking for a good quote.

Last I saw in writing it was anything more than a farm/farmhouse.
I usually deal with TC Buttonville, ON 1-800-305-2059

Just a question, what is SFOC?

Special Flight Operations Certificate. Needed to operate UAV in Canada for work or research.

Also do you know anything about NOTAMs?

Got it, thanks. I just submitted my 333...now to play the waiting game.

They are the ones you email the SFOC too? Or do you hand deliver? They would be my location too.

They go to the Regional Office......There are(4)in Canada.
In Ontario.....
Transport Canada, Civil Aviation
Ontario Region

300-4900 Yonge Street
Toronto ON M2N 6A5

Tel.: (416) 952-0215
Fax: (416) 952-0196

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am mainly looking for input from people in Canada. I am starting to create my first SFOC for a flight that will happen sometime in late April/early May. I'm wondering what suggestions you have for the process. I have a sample that I'm creating from. I currently don't own a business it is a flight for a fundraiser. I am just looking to have this process go as smoothly as possible.

Just curious what you're planning to do that the exemptions don't cover? I assume you're flying a Phantom so you're under 2km - right?

Is it the "flying over a built-up area" that you're trying to get permission for?

I found your post while searching for SFOC - hoping to find a link to an app or website that simplifies the creation of one. What did you end up finding for insurance? Who did you find had the best policy for liability in Ontario?

Are you going to add on to this thread and let us know how the process goes? For example - did they deny it outright? Ask for more information? Approve it outright? How long did you have to wait after submitting before you were contacted or received any kind of reply....

@"Air Ontario" - you seem to know a lot on the topic - do you know if they would issue an SFOC for a flight, on a specific date, for a specific time period - lets say 1 hour - with a max altitude of 50m - around 4km from a small airport (no commercial passenger flights in/out). I've had a request to shoot golf course flyovers - but the course is less than 9km from an airport. I can create the route I need to fly using AutoPilot waypoints in advance - so I'd only need to be in the air for about 30 min. Does this sound like something they'd consider? Would it help my application to include the actual waypoints (flight route)?

Just curious what you're planning to do that the exemptions don't cover? I assume you're flying a Phantom so you're under 2km - right?

Is it the "flying over a built-up area" that you're trying to get permission for?

I found your post while searching for SFOC - hoping to find a link to an app or website that simplifies the creation of one. What did you end up finding for insurance? Who did you find had the best policy for liability in Ontario?

Are you going to add on to this thread and let us know how the process goes? For example - did they deny it outright? Ask for more information? Approve it outright? How long did you have to wait after submitting before you were contacted or received any kind of reply....

@"Air Ontario" - you seem to know a lot on the topic - do you know if they would issue an SFOC for a flight, on a specific date, for a specific time period - lets say 1 hour - with a max altitude of 50m - around 4km from a small airport (no commercial passenger flights in/out). I've had a request to shoot golf course flyovers - but the course is less than 9km from an airport. I can create the route I need to fly using AutoPilot waypoints in advance - so I'd only need to be in the air for about 30 min. Does this sound like something they'd consider? Would it help my application to include the actual waypoints (flight route)?

Thanks for reminding me of this to answer a bunch of those questions:
I am attempting to fly over a small built up area within 9km of an airport. I have not applied for a SFOC yet. As of now I'm still working on insurance. I found the drone depot insurance to be the best price. However I'm waiting to here from some of my connections that fly for movie productions. You should research notam it's a warning for pilots of your where abouts that you may need to obtain. I am also waiting on a pilot friend of mine to respond on that topic.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

TC will likely deny if you are intending to fly over populated/built up area, not a trained pilot, don't have some UAV or aviator training, also drone weight matters(bigger =harder) as does outside LOS operation. Liability insurance is required and proof of it.
So stay away from those requests in your application and think safety, safety, safety to at least the level of unhealthy paranoia and you will be close.

Due to the hoops/red tape many companies now exist that do the SFOC applications. They won't even guarantee approval and charge 1000-1500 CDN + 13% tax (Bantario)when /if they deliver the SFOC.

In summary, stay away from auto-denial type requests, think safety to extreme, write it well and wait and see.

FYI for users looking for a cheaper solution in the future - I launched an online platform to create SFOC applications for $400/region. If the application is denied we provide a full refund. Your application is reviewed and compiled by a professional and we provide continued customer support by phone or email, including any compliance related questions. We finish applications in 24 hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik