SFOC in Canada

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for someone who has experience obtaining a Special Flight Operations Certificate(s) in Canada - I'm in the Pacific region. I have a few general questions, but really want to simply talks about the experience in their initial achievement of the permit.

Thanks!

Wish I could help you more. I have contacted a few people from transport Canada. They were not overly helpful. One elderly lady just lectured me on my phone skills. The next person I got a hold of my email sent me some useful SFOC info. I have spent the last few months learning to fly rather than get business. But I should be out soon. Wish we had a better Canadian resource. Not to knock this site, but it is more in the US as far as laws and regs go.

I live in Vernon but I am aiming to fly all over the okanagan. Yourself?

Myself and my partner have got 1 permit and are now awaiting our second. Really slow process. I'm in the interior

Business. Mainly forestry at this point. Taking very boring pic/video of trees but hopefully it will make us some money :)

Hey Chriserl, im on the east coast and using for forestry purposes as well. Trying to work through my first SFOC app. Any suggestions? I wish TC would just set a template for everyone to use.

MattyMatt1 said:
Hey Chriserl, im on the east coast and using for forestry purposes as well. Trying to work through my first SFOC app. Any suggestions? I wish TC would just set a template for everyone to use.

I think the reason for no template is so people have to put in the leg work and ask/answer the right questions. There are some good sample sfoc online from a university in Ontario and a highschool in Alberta ( I'm on my phone so I don't have the links). I'm lucky that my partner is a fixed wing mechanic and pilot so he's dealt with TC a lot in the past. We followed the guide lines and everything went well besides having to wait 2 months to get approval which is just plain silly. Mark at flitelab has a good point form right up on SFOC

Hey Chriserl,

Did it take 2 months to get your SFOC? Mine took 3 initially, but I've heard some good stories of them actually hitting the 20 day mark lately. Maybe it's in a different region though?

Anyway Angus and I have spoken quite a bit over email, and I've just finished putting together a application guide/template to assist with all of the questions I had been fielding in regards to SFOC applications :)

This is a preview where the FAA is going to be next year.

SteveMann said:
This is a preview where the FAA is going to be next year.

I'm at a point where I don't really give a crap what they come up with, as long as they get off their fat bureaucratic asses and do SOMETHING!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

-slinger

ShotBy.CA said:
Hey Chriserl,

Did it take 2 months to get your SFOC? Mine took 3 initially, but I've heard some good stories of them actually hitting the 20 day mark lately. Maybe it's in a different region though?

Anyway Angus and I have spoken quite a bit over email, and I've just finished putting together a application guide/template to assist with all of the questions I had been fielding in regards to SFOC applications :)

Yep 2 months. Same with current application. Have a client that has been really happy with our work but waiting 2 months is really limiting what we can do. The weather doesn't help either :)

What a bummer. I know I can keep myself busy flying. I have numerous people interested and I haven't even tried to sell it yet. I am thinking of getting some bookings over the winter then doing the SFOC will in advance so I am ready to go in the spring and summer.

I'd recommend getting an application in now for a few of those small jobs or even training flights, so you get yourself known to TC, then apply for a longer term sfoc in January or so, so you can be good to go for the summer.

Looks like some new rules are coming into place late Nov! I just posted a link.

Yep they're going to be loosening things up by the sound of it! The one point that really sticks out though is no flight over a built up area. I'm going to say that the new rules are going to be for rural areas only, when you satisfy the 30+ conditions that they require.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.