Several Questions about Zenmuse H4-3D

Reaction score
Just installed the Zenmuse H4-3D on the phantom 2 V2 (just to test it out and everything is fine). Still have not taken it on a test flight yet.
I have a few questions.

1) I have a Hero4 Silver. The H4-3D is for Black, so the counterweight is slightly (4 grams) heavier than the camera and it tilts to the weight side.
I grinded a nickel to 3.7 grams and put it on top of the camera (opposite the counterweight) and it balances just fine and the gimbal moves well. I took the nickel off and tested it and it was fine too.
Will one of the motors be trying to compensate for the missing 4 grams when it is flying out of balance and might overheat or wear out faster? Should I put the nickel back on just so the gimbal will thinking and acting like it was a Hero4 Black?

2) I needed to take the Zenmuse back off before the first flight so in case there is a crash, I only lose the phantom and not everything. BOY I had a hell of a time removing the retaining pins!
Those plastic rings/clip just would not come off, so I just clipped them off. the pins are still good. Is there a trick to removing the clips without damaging them? After seeing how it was made, I think those pins are just a safety thing, so that if the rubber absorbers popped out, the Zenmuse will not fall off. Is it OK to use something like a thin string or wire and loop it through where the pins are instead? What about zip ties?
Now that I think about it, maybe a string or zip tie would be better, the wire might interfere with the signal?

3) I noticed when I set down the Phantom that the camera or weight would touch the ground at an angle. But when I turn on the Phantom, the zenmuse levels the camera and it is off the ground just barely.
Do I really need to buy those longer legs? I would like to keep it clean. What about getting a 2' x 2' plywood and set it on that? Or what about getting styrofoam tube and put it on the bottom of the legs to raise the height by 1 inch?

Any advice or input will be appreciated!

I dont have a H4-3D but have both GPH4 black and silver on H3-3D

1. The counter weight will help with balance. However on my H3-3D I have not bothered as I alternate between black and silver and use different after market lenses. People worry about motor wear. Not sure if brushless motors will wear that quickly??

2. You cannot salvage those pins. Get a spare packet of 10 for a few dollars or better still ise a lose cable tie.

3. No need to extend legs - I find the standard legs are ok - you can get spacers on ebay if you want a bit more clearance

rockhoundrob said:
Just installed the Zenmuse H4-3D on the phantom 2 V2 (just to test it out and everything is fine). Still have not taken it on a test flight yet.
I have a few questions.

1) I have a Hero4 Silver. The H4-3D is for Black, so the counterweight is slightly (4 grams) heavier than the camera and it tilts to the weight side.
I grinded a nickel to 3.7 grams and put it on top of the camera (opposite the counterweight) and it balances just fine and the gimbal moves well. I took the nickel off and tested it and it was fine too.
Will one of the motors be trying to compensate for the missing 4 grams when it is flying out of balance and might overheat or wear out faster? Should I put the nickel back on just so the gimbal will thinking and acting like it was a Hero4 Black?

2) I needed to take the Zenmuse back off before the first flight so in case there is a crash, I only lose the phantom and not everything. BOY I had a hell of a time removing the retaining pins!
Those plastic rings/clip just would not come off, so I just clipped them off. the pins are still good. Is there a trick to removing the clips without damaging them? After seeing how it was made, I think those pins are just a safety thing, so that if the rubber absorbers popped out, the Zenmuse will not fall off. Is it OK to use something like a thin string or wire and loop it through where the pins are instead? What about zip ties?
Now that I think about it, maybe a string or zip tie would be better, the wire might interfere with the signal?

3) I noticed when I set down the Phantom that the camera or weight would touch the ground at an angle. But when I turn on the Phantom, the zenmuse levels the camera and it is off the ground just barely.
Do I really need to buy those longer legs? I would like to keep it clean. What about getting a 2' x 2' plywood and set it on that? Or what about getting styrofoam tube and put it on the bottom of the legs to raise the height by 1 inch?

Any advice or input will be appreciated!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20