Setting home point

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this but just confirming.
I want to take my P3A on a boat and use the "follow me" mode. No way to set a home point since were moving...correct?

Also does POI mode move with you or is it just for stationary objects?

Very incorrect. The home point will be the area on earth where you launched. So if you leave RTH as return to home point and lose signal, the Phantom will return to that take off point on earth and land.... probably in the water. If you are going to use any tracking mode on a boat, set RTH as Hover.

Reactions: JoBe
I want to take my P3A on a boat and use the "follow me" mode. No way to set a home point since were moving...correct?

Also does POI mode move with you or is it just for stationary objects?

I've never used it, but I think you can set the home point to follow the RC. Check your home point instructions. Or did I see this option in Litchi?

Just don't forget that you also need some sort of GPS at your RC location for follow me to work. Same for resetting the HP to your RC's location. You can still always reset the HP to your AC's location however. Note that GPS at your RC can be if you are using your phone as a mobile device, most android tablets, cellular enabled iPads, an Inspire RC, or an external GPS device. Wifi only iPads do not have GPS and Tethering does not share GPS data for this purpose.

It's important to understand that even though we call it "dynamic home point" it is actually not dynamic (changes on it's own) when using GO. When using GO, you need to manually change the static HP each time you want to move the HP.

Keep in mind that follow me is sort of slow, so it wont follow a speeding boat or car.

Most people who have commented here about best practices on a boat also say they at least hand catch, but often also hand launch.

You can find many tips in a search, such as setting RTH to hover as noted earlier by tcope.

Good luck and happy new year!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj