Set Failsafe altitude to greater than 20 meters?

Reaction score
Is there any way, or does DJI plan to give us the option, of setting the flyback altitude to greater than 20 meters? The trees around me are 30 meters or more so Failsafe isn't going to help me much?

It will fly back at whatever height you were at above 20m so just keep it high. It only goes up to 20m if rth kicks in and you are below that level

You can either reset your home point in the air at a safe altitude and, should a RTH occur, she will climb 20 meters above your set altitude or, make sure you stay higher than the highest object you have to clear on the way back home. If you are higher than 20 meters, the Phantom will maintain that altitude during an RTH.

Is it possible to reset the home point during flight in NAZA mode ? Anyone tried/knows ? I can't find anything in the manual about that...

I must fly in NAZA mode (ATTI) most of the time as I live in a small/narrow valley, but I would feel better if I could set a home point at "high" altitude (+/- 150m and right above a high grass field) where there is definitely good GPS signal, and only then going for some shooting down in the valley.

Helveticus said:
Is it possible to reset the home point during flight in NAZA mode ? Anyone tried/knows ? I can't find anything in the manual about that...

I must fly in NAZA mode (ATTI) most of the time as I live in a small valley, but I would feel better if I could set a home point at "high" altitude (+/- 150m and right above a high grass field) where there is definitely good GPS signal, and only then going for some shooting down in the valley.

Yes. Leave the Phantom in GPS mode, hover where you want the home point to be, then rapidly cycle the left toggle switch 5-6 times. (You can probably do it in ATTI mode, but the aircraft will be drifting with the wind) If successful, the rear lights will rapidly pulsate green, just like they do when you get the initial Home Point. Then you can switch back to ATTI mode.

Dirty Bird,

I've never tried RTH with a reset above ~15'. If the manual home reset is done at 100', what you're saying the the homepoint is now 100' high, the phantom will ascend/descend to ~160' altitude, RTH and hover. Then, it should know ALG is 100' below the new home point and auto land properly. Have you tried this?

I've done it at ~12' to ~15' altitude and landed safely with P2V(pre-3.0) and P2v+. But, I didn't pay attention to the altitude when it flew home. I rarely use RTH and when I do, I take back control when it comes near.

If there is a bug in the code or the reset RTH position auto landing doesn't take into account altitude, I wonder if this is causing motor stops and dropping out of sky POSTS. I can't imagine DJI would make a stupid coding error like that.

Tested 2 days ago. P2V, firmware 2.0. Reseting home location does not reset the altitude.

Would be most interested to know which firmware version makes possible to reset the altitude of home location. Confirmed by a reliable test!

I do this an regular basis nowadays for two reasons:

1. I get a safer/higher RTH altitude. I can confirm that it adds hight! If you reset you´r home point 10m up it will do the RTH on 30m.

2. Some 10m up I imagine that the satellite reception is somewhat better than on the ground and therefore a reset home point would be more accurate.

sting808 said:
Dirty Bird, If there is a bug in the code or the reset RTH position auto landing doesn't take into account altitude, I wonder if this is causing motor stops and dropping out of sky POSTS. I can't imagine DJI would make a stupid coding error like that.

I don't believe that is the case. When the Phantom auto-lands, it doesn't cut the motors until it vertical movement ceases. Even then it throttles down slowly, sometimes causing the aircraft to bounce around a bit upon landing.

Thanks for your input guys ! :)

XL-Studios said:

1. I get a safer/higher RTH altitude. I can confirm that it adds hight! If you reset you´r home point 10m up it will do the RTH on 30m.

2. Some 10m up I imagine that the satellite reception is somewhat better than on the ground and therefore a reset home point would be more accurate.

:?: Can you please tell us what firmware you're using (when performing the successful home-point/altitude reset) ?

Helveticus said:
Thanks for your input guys ! :)

XL-Studios said:

:?: Can you please tell us what firmware you're using (when performing the successful home-point/altitude reset) ?
Firmware 3.02. Not the very latest.

Thanks ! :)

If it works under 3.02 it should also do under 3.04.

I'll give it a try during next flight, in safe test conditions, and keep you guys posted in case something doesn't go as expected under 3.04

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl