Servos versus Brushless motors in a gimbal...

Reaction score
As a very new person to the whole quad copter seen, and one specifically interested using a dji phantom with a 2 axis camera gimbal in conjunction with a GoPro Hero 3 camera, Why would a person desire to use a camera gimbal with brushless motors over one that uses regular servos..?
It seems to be the "buzz word" right now....Brushless Gimbal. But to me it makes no sense. Servos offer far greater accuracy and require less current than a brushless motor. Plus servos tend to be lighter and cheaper. Can somebody enlighten me in a dispassionate way as to why one would choose one over the other...?

Thank you

my understanding is that brushless are just plain smooooooother.
DJI claims that theirs offers sub-pixel precision.

Meanwhile, many people with servo-gimbals are complaining about how jerky theirs are.

I have seen really smooth fast servos. An example would super fast coreless gyro servos. Just my two cents.

You can bet the DJI brushless gimbal will be priced too high to make it worthwhile for Phantom owners. It would be a great addition to a larger UAV such as the Flamewheel 450 or 550.

I have to admit that when I heard about the DJI brushless gimbal, I had just received my Phantomount X2 wide gimbal
a day or two before, and I was a little jealous, but when I heard it would be almost $1,000 it quickly went away.

I have seen pretty nice brushless gimbals for about $430, but in my mind, that is still too pricey for a Phantom upgrade.

Audaciter said:
You can bet the DJI brushless gimbal will be priced too high to make it worthwhile for Phantom owners. It would be a great addition to a larger UAV such as the Flamewheel 450 or 550.

I have to admit that when I heard about the DJI brushless gimbal, I had just received my Phantomount X2 wide gimbal
a day or two before, and I was a little jealous, but when I heard it would be almost $1,000 it quickly went away.

I have seen pretty nice brushless gimbals for about $430, but in my mind, that is still too pricey for a Phantom upgrade.

I purchased a Quadframe gimbal.. it works ok,. but does seem a bit jerky in the roll.
But heck,. for $120 what can I expect?

the DJI gimbal they're coming out with will be designed for the Phantom! (but imagine it'll be mountable on other DJI/NAZA copters).
i doubt it'll be $1,000,. probably closer to around $600 is what everyone is guessing.

Audaciter said:

i

I just ordered the Phantomount. I haven't been able to find to many user comments about it.
How is it so far?

lyricon said:
Audaciter said:

i

I just ordered the Phantomount. I haven't been able to find to many user comments about it.
How is it so far?

I have it mounted to the Phantom, but I haven't used it yet, because I'm waiting for new motors.
I did modify my Phantomount X2 wide, so the GoPro with waterproof housing sits on there securely.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4