Serious pre-purchase jitters

Reaction score
So I recently sold all my Phantom 2 gear to fund the purchase of a Phantom 3. Really looked forward to a nice integrated flight system with no janky RF transmitters and lo-res FPV view. There was no way I could afford a P3Pro, so that was right out of the window (if I could afford it, I'd be all over it) so my choice comes down to a P3standard and P3advanced.

With the P2, I'd always record on the GoPro at 1440p or 2.7k, just for better options cropping or reframing in the edit, so I actually found myself leaning towards the Standard, despite the likely lower quality camera and lack of lightbridge. Then news came on the board that the Advanced would get 2.7k recording in the next firmware update and I swung back around to the Advanced. However news on that front seems to have gone completely quiet, which is starting to unnerve me a little along with the rumors of "something new that will annoy a lot of owners" next month appearing here and there. I wouldn't put it past DJI to release an "Advanced 2.0" with improved camera with 2.7k recording and leave the current owners in the dust (hell, Apple does that all the time). All this has left me scared to pull the trigger. I'm not rolling in cash and making bad purchase decisions really worries me.

I know no-one in their right mind in the beta program will break their NDA but man would it ever make me feel a little more secure to know what DJI have in mind.

Anyone have any advice on which way to go?

There is always something newer and better waiting around the corner. But, when you get that new thing, there's another newer and better thing waiting around the next corner.

I ALWAYS go as big as I can possibly afford to go! When you start at the bottom, there is nothing but newer, better, coming the next day. When you start at the top it takes a few trips around the park before then new product actually catches up to you.

DJI will always be coming out with something. Waiting for the next one is akin to not being happy with your purchase in the first place. I paid the same for my P3 as my P2V+. Would I do it again? YES! In fact, I flew the props off my P2 bird waiting for the pre-ordered P3.

The P3 is my third Phantom, and it is awesome. If I were you, I'd get the Advanced and enjoy the Lightbridge. The $200 extra you'll forget about the first time you fly it.

Reactions: III% Streve
Has there ever been anyone that said 2.7k WASN'T coming?
I thought the consensus was the cameras are the same, and it's firmware limited by model.

Go big and be happy.

Go to the light .......bridge! WiFi for video transmission is a problem, I'll never buy another setup using WiFi. The TCPIP protocol with all of the bidirectional handshaking going on makes it temperamental in the air, higher latency, less distance, more time to reconnect when being interrupted from distance weak signal. With WiFi you'll immediately have to bolt on an antenna replacement and possible external amplifiers to get a mile distance. Such a hassle. Go to the light, goes a mile easy LOS, you won't regret it, with or without 2.7K it's the bomb.

Reactions: FunN4lo
Go to the light .......bridge! WiFi for video transmission is a problem, I'll never buy another setup using WiFi. The TCPIP protocol with all of the bidirectional handshaking going on makes it temperamental in the air, less distance, more time to reconnect when being interrupted from distance weak signal. With WiFi you'll immediately have to bolt on an antenna replacement and possible external amplifiers. Such a hassle. Go to the light, you won't regret it, with or without 2.7K it's the bomb.
But with 2.7k its NUCLEAR!

I received my P3A on Friday and have done 6 flights. I cannot be happier. Just now I decided to push it, with a 65% battery I went out to a point I know is half mile from my house. I had full control of the craft and was receiving live video feed. When I got the low battery warning, I switched to the map mode and flew a straight line back. Once over the yard, I hit the auto land button and everything went perfect. I upgraded from a slightly modded FC40 that would fly for about 4 minutes with lagged video return as long as the craft was within 30 feet, after that it was anyone's guess what I was looking at.

Get the P3A or P3P, you will not regret it

i have the p3p but get the advanced.
you will love it.
What tablet are you going to use with it?

The P3P maybe the better buy because it has the ability to record in 1080P as well as 4K. I would swing for the pro if you can afford it. Otherwise If 1080P is all that you require, then the Advanced is for you.

1. Don't take forum gossip seriously, it will let you down far more often than it is right.
2. You won't believe how much better the P3 Advanced is than your old P2.
Lol... Dont listen to gossip, but heres some more!

Just hit me as funny.

Go to the light .......bridge! WiFi for video transmission is a problem, I'll never buy another setup using WiFi. The TCPIP protocol with all of the bidirectional handshaking going on makes it temperamental in the air, higher latency, less distance, more time to reconnect when being interrupted from distance weak signal. With WiFi you'll immediately have to bolt on an antenna replacement and possible external amplifiers to get a mile distance. Such a hassle. Go to the light, goes a mile easy LOS, you won't regret it, with or without 2.7K it's the bomb.

To the OP..... THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic