Serious DJI Phantom 2 injury.

rilot said:
Well, that's what you get for hand catching with CF props.
hand catching from the top :-/

__
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse for the brevity, spelling and punctuation.

Well that was dumb.

You can't fix stupid. Carelessness with any item that can do you harm is just that... Carelessness.

For instance...

1) Not paying proper attention when ripping a board in a table saw...

2) Not paying attention when you're dropping something heavy into a pot of boiling water...

3) Texting while piloting two tons of rolling steel...

4) Dry firing a .45 without clearing the magazine and chamber...

5) Getting anywhere near a Phantom's props without making sure the aircraft is high enough and down wind from you...

These are things you really can't blame on the appliance in question, or the manufacturer...

These are the things that you need to suck up and live with, because you had your head up your ***...

EDIT: I DO feel sorry for the guy. I've been working around heavy, dangerous, equipment most of my life and you have to have respect for what can hurt you. I know quite a few people who can't count to ten on their fingers. :eek:

-slinger

Geez, guys. Cut the fella some slack. Have you never done something stupid and then looked around to see if anyone was watching?

I got whacked by my stock props but didn't even get a scratch. Of course it wasn't full nor even mid throttle. Never thought a prop could break the skin like that. Worth watching. I'll be more careful.

Ohary said:
I got whacked by my stock props but didn't even get a scratch.

He had carbon fiber props on so much harder!

Would it affect performance if a Phantomeer were to slightly round the ends of the props with sandpaper?

Sorry the operator got hurt. But to put up a video with his blood dripping in globs oh so slowly is a little exploitive dont you think. Its almost the dude is proud it happened, so i cant feel too much sympathy and the video is hard to stomach.

I feel for the guy, having done stupider stuff myself.

I had thought about catching my FC40 instead of landing it (catching from the bottom), but have just decided against it.

abacus01 said:
Sorry the operator got hurt. But to put up a video with his blood dripping in globs oh so slowly is a little exploitive dont you think. Its almost the dude is proud it happened, so i cant feel too much sympathy and the video is hard to stomach.
I never saw any indication he was proud of the event. He posted to show what can happen. It's no different than showing car wrecks caused by drinking, texting, and showing the effects of cancer by smoking. It's shocking but they are trying to make a point. I saw it on youtube and some of the remarks by absolute JERKS.

Have been planning to hand catch my Phantom using Simon Newton's (Pull-Up's) method:
begins at 3:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21LrlYWH_o

Then I saw this video of the guy's arm getting gashes as he reached for the Phantom.

Simon's method differs in that
1) He stays at a distance from the Phantom.
2) Moves the Phantom into position slowly.
3) The Phantom hovers - away from Simon and higher than Simon
4) Simon approaches with full awareness of the Phantom's movements - , making sure the Phantom remains stabilized.
5) Reaches his hand UP and OUTWARD (away from his head) to grasp the Landing Gear.
6) As Simon continues to hold the Phantom up and as far away as possible, he moves throttle to zero position, and waits the 3 seconds for motors to shut down.

When watching the injured guy's video - everything happened very quickly. I didn't see him waiting for the Phantom to hover. He just brought it towards himself at waist level or below, and reached.

Simon's method appears safe - as long as there is no wind.

To me it looks like the guy is trying to catch it at the top!

__
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse for the brevity, spelling and punctuation.

I "Catch" my Phantom all the time by grabbing onto the landing gear. Remember you need to apply leverage on the gear to hold it horizontal or the props will never shut off.

FWIW, I also handle chain saws and other tools/toys that are far more capable of bodily harm. Use common sense folks (something that certainly seems to be lacking these days).

I also prefer to catch the phantom rather than try to land when any lateral movement can cause a tipover and broken props. The guy in the video definitely didn't do it proper... I always orient it facing away so the right stick is "normal" towards/away and slowly back towards myself then reach up and out to grab it before zeroing the throttle.
I consider it rather safe I can't tell what the guy in the video was trying to do.

Lol at the guy asking about sanding props down

I would always suggest, you approach the phantom to catch , not the phantom approach you, ie bring it in , let it hover you approach it and when steady catch power off ..

FlyingFox said:
I would always suggest, you approach the phantom to catch , not the phantom approach you, ie bring it in , let it hover you approach it and when steady catch power off ..

everybody is different and should do what they think is safest/most comfortable for them... so I'm not trying to argue with you here FlyingFox but as a simple counterpoint my phantom never hovers PERFECTLY still. I feel like if I just let it hover (Phantom / GPS mode) it "bounces around" inside about a 1m/sq box as GPS is only about that accurate.

When I'm going to catch my phantom, I'd rather be the one controlling any movement as opposed to it trying to correct itself at just the wrong second and anything going wrong. That's why I get it to about 1-2 feet above me, maybe 1-2 meters away with it oriented pointing straight away from me. I then do a nudge straight back towards me and grab it.

one of my buddies prefers to do it your way, with the phantom hovering and taking a step or 2 towards it but at least once or twice a gust of wind or the phantom correcting itself has moved it away and he's had to step back, correct and try again. I prefer controlled movement.

nbd. again, whatever the individual pilot feels most comfortable with is probably what's going to work best. assuming you don't do something dumb like the guy in the vid heh

FLGulf said:
Have been planning to hand catch my Phantom using Simon Newton's (Pull-Up's) method:
begins at 3:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21LrlYWH_o

Then I saw this video of the guy's arm getting gashes as he reached for the Phantom.

Simon's method differs in that
1) He stays at a distance from the Phantom.
2) Moves the Phantom into position slowly.
3) The Phantom hovers - away from Simon and higher than Simon
4) Simon approaches with full awareness of the Phantom's movements - , making sure the Phantom remains stabilized.
5) Reaches his hand UP and OUTWARD (away from his head) to grasp the Landing Gear.
6) As Simon continues to hold the Phantom up and as far away as possible, he moves throttle to zero position, and waits the 3 seconds for motors to shut down.

When watching the injured guy's video - everything happened very quickly. I didn't see him waiting for the Phantom to hover. He just brought it towards himself at waist level or below, and reached.

Simon's method appears safe - as long as there is no wind.

Simon's method is safe, even with a certain amount of wind. You just need to keep the aircraft downwind from you and be a bit more careful when you reach for it. I've done it in fairly high gusts without a problem. You just really need to constantly be aware that those props can hurt you and use appropriate care and caution...

-slinger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues