Sent PH3P to DJI - still no word on it

How long did it take you to get your machine back from DJI?

• 1 month

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 3 months

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • > 3 months

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I had upgraded my PH3P to the latest firmware back in June and the copter started to fly like crap. Almost like there wasn't a GPS or a VPS anymore. Despite all my efforts, I decided to call DJI in California and set up an RMA since the machine was relatively new. So I sent in my machine back in late June and they checked it in to their system around July 2nd.
Since that time, there has been no word on the status of this machine. I reached out to DJI on FB as that seemed to be the only way that I could get a hold of them; their telephone system and online chat system is broken or weak at best. See attached.
Has anyone else sent in their unit for repair? If so, how long did it take for you to get your machine back? I might be launching a complaint with the FTC and the BBB along with a lawsuit against DJI as this is just unacceptable.
Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 7.29.58 AM.png

Your last sentence in your FB post pretty much sums it up. As far as filing a lawsuit? Good luck with that.....

Id be hounding them as politely as possible everyday until they give a reasonable ETA (which has now passed IMO) or a new unit sent to you. That's ********.

I ended up buying a second P3P. I sent one in about a month ago and I don't expect it back before the end of the year. I sold the charger and battery on ebay that came with the replacement unit and I will sell the controller when I eventually get the original unit back. Then I will have a replacement bird with camera so now I will have replacement parts.

I too was forced to purchased a second unit as I am trying to finish up a couple of construction jobs that have been underway for over 2 years. So I too will have a second bird in the house as well - if I ever get it back.

I had upgraded my PH3P to the latest firmware back in June and the copter started to fly like crap. Almost like there wasn't a GPS or a VPS anymore. Despite all my efforts, I decided to call DJI in California and set up an RMA since the machine was relatively new. So I sent in my machine back in late June and they checked it in to their system around July 2nd.
Since that time, there has been no word on the status of this machine. I reached out to DJI on FB as that seemed to be the only way that I could get a hold of them; their telephone system and online chat system is broken or weak at best. See attached.
Has anyone else sent in their unit for repair? If so, how long did it take for you to get your machine back? I might be launching a complaint with the FTC and the BBB along with a lawsuit against DJI as this is just unacceptable.View attachment 28446

I feel your pain I also sent my P3P to DJI 8.5 weeks ago today. a phone call at the six week threshold( which they quoted for repair) took me three days and almost 20 calls to get through. resulted in being told the new date for repairs is 8 to 10 weeks due to their relocating. I also was forced to buy a second one, if I wanted to enjoy my new hobby. I love the products but the company customer service is the worst I have ever seen

Last edited:
I feel your pain man - I was recently told 9 to 12 weeks by DJI, and they said it would be NO sooner than 9, probably more like 12 ("because they moved to a new facility"). I was just barely outside of my 30 days from Amazon. They (Amazon) are working with me, so hopefully I can avoid the DJI repair route. It's just ridiculous.

I'd love to have a spare, but no way in hell Senior Management in the house is going to approve that!

They are advertising for techs and I believe they are planning on opening another service center. They better, else they will never be able to service the prosumer market. This is such BS.

I too was forced to purchased a second unit as I am trying to finish up a couple of construction jobs that have been underway for over 2 years. So I too will have a second bird in the house as well - if I ever get it back.

So DJI's poor customer service nets them double the money.. Irony.

I feel your pain man - I was recently told 9 to 12 weeks by DJI, and they said it would be NO sooner than 9, probably more like 12 ("because they moved to a new facility"). I was just barely outside of my 30 days from Amazon. They (Amazon) are working with me, so hopefully I can avoid the DJI repair route. It's just ridiculous.

I'd love to have a spare, but no way in hell Senior Management in the house is going to approve that!

Being in Aust I've never bought anything off Amazon, postage costs always seemed crazy.

I feel your pain I also sent my P3P to DJI 8.5 weeks ago today. a phone call at the six week threshold( which they quoted for repair) took me three days and almost 20 calls to get through. resulted in being told the new date for repairs is 8 to 10 weeks due to their relocating. I also was forced to buy a second one, if I wanted to enjoy my new hobby. I love the products but the company customer service is the worst I have ever seen

UPDATE SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!!
8.5 WEEKS AND A DAY
Now i just hope it was fully checked and it wont need to go back again:oops:

D. S. (DJI Technology )

Aug 24, 13:17

Dear Paul

Upon inspection of your Phantom we found the gimbal was faulty. The components have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at 818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America

Reactions: PilotHal
UPDATE SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!!
8.5 WEEKS AND A DAY
Now i just hope it was fully checked and it wont need to go back again:oops:

D. S. (DJI Technology )

Aug 24, 13:17

Dear Paul

Upon inspection of your Phantom we found the gimbal was faulty. The components have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at 818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America
8.5 weeks, that's 16% of the yearo_Oo_Oo_O:confused:

I sent mine in The 1st week in July at which time they told me the standard 6 weeks. At the 5 week mark I called in to see when I might expect it (I hadn't heard anything except that it had been delivered). They got back to me that it would be bumped to expedited. I then got an email that it had been checked in and wait at least 8 weeks. I'm in Iowa so I expect the snow to fly before I see it. That's just too long to wait for a new unit. I never treat my customers that way. I just today sent the company a request for a refund. I had a total of about 3 hours on the unit. So sad and I am not going to reward a company with a poor service record like this by purchasing a second one. That's like buying a car with a bad engine and taking it in for the repair and buying a second one. Ooooh it hurts so good. Sorry but this has just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

No one-- especially those at DJI, ever suspected that they would sell about 500,000 of these P3's on roll out. Those numbers are mind numbing -- if 5% of those 500,000 had warranty claims, then they are upside down on customer service 30 days after the P3's were put on the street. In thirty days, this state of the art technology developed a customer service nightmare, that DJI was not prepared to handle and they are still trying to play catch-up.

Unfortunately, their Customer Service has been so bad, that it may not ever recover, but they continue to sell P3's. Why is that? Probably because it is the best buy for this type of flying camera platform available, with all the bells and whistles, extended range and signal, and it is also very easy to master.

Those who have had no warranty issues, which is a huge number, don't care about the customer service-- and those who have are either going to pay for getting the problems resolved because they don't want to wait for DJI---- or they are down the road and don't want anything to do with DJI. If DJI lost 25,000 customers to their nearest competitor, and refunded the full purchase price of the drone to everyone of those, that loss of revenue would have little or no effect on their overall revenue projections. I am sure that has already been calculated into their business plan.

Most US manufacturers are big on customer service as it is a means of building their market share. This is not the case in China, nor the US, DJI already owns most of the Market for this product. They will never be known to be a Customer Oriented company as some of the US and European manufacturers until those manufacturers build a similar product with the same performance specs at the same price point.

To be clear, I am not defending their Customer Service Policies and Procedures-- but I along with many others will continue to use their products-- simply because we do not have to spend 5 to 10K to put a camera platform in the air. All those competitors with great customer service that are producing "competitive platforms for the same price, just aren't there yet. Maybe by 2016, the competition may reach the point in their product development where customer service moves to the frot burner-- because the technological specs and performance are comparable to the Phantom.

Reactions: Kmullins87
Where did you get the 500,000 units sold number upon roll out? That's pretty impressive!

Mine was in for about 8 weeks when it went in for repairs.

Where did you get the 500,000 units sold number upon roll out? That's pretty impressive!

Mine was in for about 8 weeks when it went in for repairs.
That was a quoted number from some news release, wish I have saved it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj