Seneca Rock and Dolly Sod, West Virginia.

Reaction score
We went to the areas before the city people made the place look like rush hour when the fall colors come in. There is some color in the blueberries. It is funny that the valley was sunny and 82 deg. F and Dolly Sod was 62 deg. in the clouds. The videos were taken within hours of each other. I tried to avoid people. They are hard to see in my I Pad screen. A women on top of Seneca Rock twice threw rocks at my drone. I was too far away for her to do any harm. I worried more about people coming up from below.
I did this two weeks ago. I had my problems with 4K editing. Adobe elements doesn't allow for proxie. It is impossible to do any kind of editing of 4K on my computer. Also I noticed some gimble jerk. I put the 4K video on a sd card before I rendered it to You Tube.

What great locations! Especially Seneca Rock: That opening shots of the circling eagle, then flying through the gap - awesome. A bit of sunshine at Dolly Sod (rather than the fog) would have helped to bring out those colours.

What do you mean when you write, "I put the 4K video on a SD card before I rendered it to YouTube"? Your upload is 1080p.

What great locations! Especially Seneca Rock: That opening shots of the circling eagle, then flying through the gap - awesome. A bit of sunshine at Dolly Sod (rather than the fog) would have helped to bring out those colours.

What do you mean when you write, "I put the 4K video on a SD card before I rendered it to YouTube"? Your upload is 1080p.
Circling bird was just a vulture.

You see the sky at Seneca Rock. That is what the day was like. That 82 F. air hits that 62 F. air makes the mountain look like it is in the clouds. If it is cool in the valley, then it would have been clear on Dolly Sod. It was 62 F. in the valley one time and I decided to cross over Dolly Sod to Lanesville, because I saw snow on top. Big mistake and my wife let me know. It was 28 F and the snow was 3 ft. deep. Crazy people in some big trucks just not long before me pushed through the snow and dumb me was not far behind. Once committed, I was afraid to stop for fear of getting stuck. I told my wife, we'll be fine, while I was shaking to the bone.

I was afraid of losing my 4K video rendering it to You Tube, so I put it on an sd card first. I was not given the option to load it on You Tube at 4K only, 1080p. So why do it in 4K?

How high above the valley is Dolly Sod? You typically get a 0.7 degree C drop in temperature for every 100 metre rise in elevation, or by my calculation, a 3.8 degrees F drop in temperature for a 1,000 foot rise in elevation.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question, but you'll get a 4K video on YouTube if you upload a 4K video. By 'rendering it to YouTube', I presume you mean uploading it? For me, the rendering (post edit) and uploading (to YT) are two separate tasks. YouTube alters the file that has been uploaded to their servers - it won't change the file on your hard-drive. You said in your initial post that your PC can't edit 4K video. If that's the case, you would have had to down-scale your original video (to 1080p) prior to editing it. You can also down-scale when you render your edited video, but that won't help you if your PC can't handle the editing process.

The main reason to upload 4K video to YT is because it looks so much better. It's not the extra pixels so much as the more favourable bitrate. YouTube's 4K version of your video is less compressed than the lower res versions, so the end product looks more like your source video. Of course, you have to select the 4K version when you watch it (if your browser doesn't already do so), and you need fast internet. You don't need a 4K monitor to see the improvement in quality. The bitrate advantage is such that even up-scaling 1080p source video to 4K before uploading will give you a higher quality image on YT - if you view the 4K version.

You can easily test this yourself. Select any 4K video on YouTube - preferably one with plenty of movement and detail, as the compression will be more noticeable. Watch the 4K version, followed by the 1080p version, and compare. If you do this on a 1080p monitor, the difference you'll see will be solely a product of the varying bitrate. Amateur drone video (such as ours) is particularly hard-hit by the compression algorithms.

Last edited:
That temperature change is a good rule of thumb that works at my house when I leave town. Dolly Sod must have other variables. It is also the water divide for the eastern US.

When I load to YouTube, it renders it and loads it at the same time. It would not give me the choice to load it at 4K. I loaded it at the highest it would let me. After my editing problems, I wanted it to load at 4K. I can see the difference in 4k on my video. I have it on my SD card. This is a picture I took off the computer screen. Hum, the picture I post, keeps disappearing.

Attachments

• 20211003_220041.jpg
    20211003_220041.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 111
If you went to the trouble of editing in 4K you'll be disappointed not to be able to upload it.

I'm not familiar with Adobe Elements. Try rendering without uploading, and see what it presents you with. You should expect to see a whole lot of preset rendering options (with varying resolution and bitrate) plus the option to customise your rendered output.

Beautiful work guys. Hope I can enjoy it sometime. (My daughter lives in Harrisburg, PA and that might be reachable from there in a day trip.)
A little under a 4 hour trip. For the full beauty of the blueberry fields, now is the time. Forget it after this week. It is past peak now. The leaves haven't peaked yet at Seneca Rock. It is in a much warmer temperature zone. Seneca Rock have a nice path to the top, with a wooden platform overlook. For liability, a sign says not to leave the platform. Climb over the rail onto level ground and walk up on top of the rock for an unforgettable view. Very easily done. I have ridden horses to the top and walked out on the top. There was a woman throwing Rock at my drone from that vantage point.

Awesome! I miss WV

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Very nice and good work on your flying it’s beautiful as far as the woman which I have filled out two sheriffs complaints in the last month on stocking crazy women coming onto my land you’re a lot nicer guy than I am I would’ve spent the rest of the day hunting her down the rest I can’t say, sorry it just makes me upset that someone would throw rocks at your drone that is so ridiculous just because they don’t have any kind of life and they’re jealous it’s funny it’s always a woman I wonder why I’ve been through two divorces sorry again for rantingThanks for sharing those beautiful shots

Very nice and good work on your flying it’s beautiful as far as the woman which I have filled out two sheriffs complaints in the last month on stocking crazy women coming onto my land you’re a lot nicer guy than I am I would’ve spent the rest of the day hunting her down the rest I can’t say, sorry it just makes me upset that someone would throw rocks at your drone that is so ridiculous just because they don’t have any kind of life and they’re jealous it’s funny it’s always a woman I wonder why I’ve been through two divorces sorry again for rantingThanks for sharing those beautiful shots
There is a sign that says not to throw rocks. She could have killed someone below.
She would have been easy to find. There is only one foot path to the top and one bridge the crosses the river that goes to the rock. If she rode a horse up, there is that horse trail that is too long to walk on foot.
I try to keep a low profile and avoid confrontation. I pick my battles. The federal park service, is nice to let people fly their drones there. If there was a problem, I think they would rule against drones. Meekness doesn’t equal weakness. Walk softly and carry a big stick. Lol.

Amazing how the trees grow out the rock,giant bonsai tree
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great location, of course the video is nice itself but i wish i could go there myself, i grew up in a country with no landscapes like this

What a great location, of course the video is nice itself but i wish i could go there myself, i grew up in a country with no landscapes like this
It is a great location which helps a lot in producing good material for videos. I wish I could comprehend the technical aspects on how to use video editing programs. My older mind is on the decline. Lol. I love photography and always like the challenge of taking pictures of something that seems plain and bringing it into a new light. With your youth, you can do the same with your surroundings. You can convey beauty by the sky, the angles, and the prospective of how you see things.

There are many Youtube videos that will help you with the editing software. Davinci Reslove is a free download. Editing is the most creative part of the process. If you have a decent computer and some extra time, who doesn't these days, you can learn how to make simple edits.

That temperature change is a good rule of thumb that works at my house when I leave town. Dolly Sod must have other variables. It is also the water divide for the eastern US.

When I load to YouTube, it renders it and loads it at the same time. It would not give me the choice to load it at 4K. I loaded it at the highest it would let me. After my editing problems, I wanted it to load at 4K. I can see the difference in 4k on my video. I have it on my SD card. This is a picture I took off the computer screen. Hum, the picture I post, keeps disappearing.

What beautiful country and great shots!
I know I’m a little late on this, when you export your video in adobe, hit the devices icon at the top and you’ll have the option to upload to your computer in 4k.

What beautiful country and great shots!
I know I’m a little late on this, when you export your video in adobe, hit the devices icon at the top and you’ll have the option to upload to your computer in 4k.
Does that work for the cheap version of Adobe that I have? 2019

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4