Sending P3 in because of Range Issues?

Reaction score
Has anyone sent their P3 in for issues with range/remote/etc? I have read all of the posts and tried everything, but the most I can get out of my P3A is around 4k feet in wide open fields. Typically I am around 2500 ft. I wanted to know if anyone else has sent theirs in and the results you received, how long it took, and did they find a problem?

Thanks!

Have you seen antenna position guide?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have. I have done everything as far as the antennas parallel, perpendicular to the P3, tried windsurfer, etc.

I sent one back because it constantly said no signal after 2500 ft in an area i can go miles with every other bird i own

They just sent a different one altogether. Funny thing is when i registered that one i named it "luckybird"! Think i jinxed it

The furthest I've gee from the controller is about 2600ft. I'm in a rather populated subdivision so I just assumed it was due to interference.

When you say a problem with range, are you talking about the video signal or the rc? Have you tried the 32 channel hack? Can you actually see interference when using the GO App when looking at the channels? I've had some issues with signal drop out and ended up modifying my controller with an FPVLR antenna.....yesterday i got out to 13,400 feet with no signal break up..I have both the P3A and P3P and was able to get out to 16,000 feet with the P3A last year using the windsurfer....I also tend to think with the newer firmware updates DJI has reduced power outputs which has affected distances as well, but that is only my opinion....

It may be interference.

I recently few a mile away the other day while on vacation. I'm lucky to get a mile where I live in a heavy populated area.

The higher you go in semi-populated areas the further you will go. I seem to remember my a/c losing signal around 5000ft with the stock antennas only. But adding the windsurfer woke it up by an additional 6000ft going through the same area. I have not yet tried to see what my overall farthest distance is, but I can fly 2 miles out from my house and back with just the windsufer and I'm happy with that.

I have done the 32 channel hack. It is range - not image transmission. I start getting the video transmission warnings and just after that are the signal loss warnings. I can fly it 200ft - 700ft high (of course I am not admitting to breaking the rules, I just mean hypothetically ;) ), and it still loses signal.

Dirty Bum, how long did it take for them to send you the other one? I hate the though of not having it for any amount of time.

I just got me a P3a and live in city with much Wi-Fi. My 3rd flight out I got brave and went out 8000ft. No mods at all. Probably could have gone farther but it RTH because of the low battery. I was trippin cause I Never got that far with my modded P2V+.

I have done the 32 channel hack. It is range - not image transmission. I start getting the video transmission warnings and just after that are the signal loss warnings. I can fly it 200ft - 700ft high (of course I am not admitting to breaking the rules, I just mean hypothetically ;) ), and it still loses signal.

Dirty Bum, how long did it take for them to send you the other one? I hate the though of not having it for any amount of time.
One time I had a problem with range and DJI asked me if I had calibrated the IMU. I couldn't imagine how that could have helped, but it did? Personally, I would be careful about sending your P3 into DJI, because when I sent my P3A in for cracks back in November, I received in return a new shell, motors and board, but thats when my range issues started. I never received an explanation for this so I let it go....

I've done the IMU calibration several times, gimble too. At this point I don't know what options I have.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK guys and girls. I took my P3A for what I thought would be one last flight before shipping it off to DJI. I was at a new remote site and was trying to get some footage of a train track and decided to just give it a shot at distance. Well, this time, I went 6,655.2 feet (1.25 miles). I guess what everyone has been saying is right. Maybe I don't have a range issue and it is just interference that I have been dealing with and not knowing it. I guess the ol bird will stick around a little longer... ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers