Sending my Phantom back, more trouble

Reaction score
Have found another problem with my Phantom, one of the green LED's on the left are is not going, so 2 instead of 3 like the rest, so does not look good, having 2 much trouble so going to request a replacement.

kesnim said:
Wish you luck! :)

Put it this way, I either put it in the rubbish as junk, which mine clearly is, or send it back and take the risk, and hopefully get another, and if it gets lost, or none, then its a big expensive mistake getting one of these and would not recommend one, nothing but trouble for me, bad out of the box, and now one LED has failed. Maybe the QC is a bit iffy?

Got it from UAV products and seem pretty good, got a RMA number, will send it back Monday.

Just hope I get one that works properly? They say they fly out of the box, but they do not tell you how well, and that you may have to do some adjustments. If from what I have read here and bits and pieces elsewhere these things either go well out of the box or not, it's a hit and miss.

I think you got a lemon. Mine has flown (and crashed) very well since the day it came out of the box which was only two days ago. I have slammed it into brick walls, patio furniture, and the ground without a single thing breaking or getting bent. I have simply picked it up, checked it over, dusted it off, and put it back in the air.

I do a preflight before each trip just to be sure all the nuts and screws are tight and so far all has been fine. I have even flown it with the GoPro HERO 3 and even though it handles a bit slower with the added weight (battery bacpac also) it has been nothing but a joy.

I am sure that DJI will take care of you.

Chris said:
I think you got a lemon. Mine has flown (and crashed) very well since the day it came out of the box which was only two days ago. I have slammed it into brick walls, patio furniture, and the ground without a single thing breaking or getting bent. I have simply picked it up, checked it over, dusted it off, and put it back in the air.

I do a preflight before each trip just to be sure all the nuts and screws are tight and so far all has been fine. I have even flown it with the GoPro HERO 3 and even though it handles a bit slower with the added weight (battery bacpac also) it has been nothing but a joy.

I am sure that DJI will take care of you.

My experience is similar to yours, .. cept my last crash I learned that pavement and Phantom don't mix. (8ft fall dented an arm in slightly, just ordered a new shell for $65). and even then, had I not bent the arm, everything else seemed to be running properly afterward.

I think a preflight check it definitely important (especially if you choose not to use loctite or threadlock on your nuts., and you're careful not to over-tighten)

I'd say unfortunately you got a lemon Denodan, which judging from most of the posts here on this forum, isn't very common.
But considering that this is DJI's first foray into a consumer product, you can't quite fault a company for putting together a few duds.
if Possible, perhaps you can have the place you're buying it from do a quick check to make sure you get one that connects properly to a PC and boots up ok.
But even if you can't do that, I'm rather confident DJI will send you a solid unit that will indeed run fine out of the box.

*but whatever you do, if you were planning to get a GoPro Hero3 Black,.. hold off,. I lucked out and got a properly working one.. but if you read the reviews, I really DID luck out,. talk about serious user dissatisfaction, DJI's quality control puts GoPro's to shame.

As an alternative to a GoPro... I picked up the Astak ActionPro CM-7200 on ebay for only $140. I'll post some results once I have everything on hand and get it up and running.

I definitely question DJI's quality control. The first Phantom I had, survived everything a beginner could throw at it. Except water. However, at that time I was completely impressed with the Phantom, and immediately ordered a replacement. It arrived, flew fine one day and not the next. I sent it back to the dealer, who installed a new NAZA module. It arrived, flew great for a coupla days, aside from some nasty vibrations which rendered any video completely useless. Then it fell a whopping 18" from a garden table to the ground. Error 25 reared its ugly head, and I was informed that I needed a new NAZA module, now the 3rd one for this flyer. I haven't contacted DJI directly, yet, preferring to speak directly to the dealer. I'll keep everyone posted on the new NAZA module when it arrives.
Something has changed in the manufacturing process, or the quality control department...

PostalProductions said:
I definitely question DJI's quality control. The first Phantom I had, survived everything a beginner could throw at it. Except water. However, at that time I was completely impressed with the Phantom, and immediately ordered a replacement. It arrived, flew fine one day and not the next. I sent it back to the dealer, who installed a new NAZA module. It arrived, flew great for a coupla days, aside from some nasty vibrations which rendered any video completely useless. Then it fell a whopping 18" from a garden table to the ground. Error 25 reared its ugly head, and I was informed that I needed a new NAZA module, now the 3rd one for this flyer. I haven't contacted DJI directly, yet, preferring to speak directly to the dealer. I'll keep everyone posted on the new NAZA module when it arrives.
Something has changed in the manufacturing process, or the quality control department...

I'm thinking that may the fate of mine at some point. It still has the potential to fly wildly out of control on its own... it's done it about three times, luckily without injuring anyone or causing any damage. But it's definitely not a good situation.

You email them and they don't want to know, and basically want to pass you onto the place you got it from, who have to contact dji anyway. You always either get no reply from them, or same standard email basically flogging you off and to basically contact your dealer, so their customer service is terrible.

denodan said:
You email them and they don't want to know, and basically want to pass you onto the place you got it from, who have to contact dji anyway. You always either get no reply from them, or same standard email basically flogging you off and to basically contact your dealer, so their customer service is terrible.

it's just like car dealerships in a way..

you ever get a working Phantom back Denodan?

Not Yet, but with the Quality control bad, I still may not get a good working Phantom? Just hope I do

PostalProductions said:

So I bought my phantom from amazon.com and getting the red yellow green lights. Emailed DJI and they told me to contact the after sale dealer for service. I sawthatyou did this. Can you postal or anyone else help me find a reputable dealer for service as I doubt amazon.com will be able to service this. Shocked that DJI can't stand behind their product. Guess that windbag that made the DJI vids isn't so great with quality.

Like many manufacturers, they have contract with suppliers and the customer has contract with the supplier and that is where your warranty claims should be routed.

If you buy a new car which develops a fault you take it back to the dealer, not the manufacturer.

cliffyballgame said:
Can you postal or anyone else help me find a reputable dealer for service as I doubt amazon.com will be able to service this. Shocked that DJI can't stand behind their product. Guess that windbag that made the DJI vids isn't so great with quality.

Yah, guess he's more of a poster child for it..

try this link and find one that's perhaps near you and will offer some support. (DSLRpros has been pretty one-on-one for many, including myself)

cliffyballgame said:
So I bought my phantom from amazon.com and getting the red yellow green lights.
Actually you bought it from someone else and Amazon merely fulfilled the order. Amazon is not a Phantom dealer.

Look at the order acknowledgement you got via email and the paperwork that came with it to see who your dealer actually is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31