Self Tightening Props

Reaction score
So let me get some clarity from the experts. I have the original Phantom (June 2013). No version number on the bottom sticker. My props have the silver nuts on the props. I cannot use the self tightening props on this Phantom? Correct. I have a set of them and they seem to fit right on and tighten up.

Please clarify for me.

Thanks!!

You have the "OG" Phantom, like me. All 4 nuts are silver, and all 4 prop nuts tighten in the same direction.
Self tightening props have 2 that tighten clockwise, and 2 that tighten counter-clockwise. However, if it's just the props, without nuts, they will still fit just fine. You just need to use your silver nuts to tighten them on.

Where you will run into problems is; if you want to upgrade to the DJI Vision props. Those props contain a nut built into the prop hub. And like my example above-2 of the props will not tighten.
You have 2 solutions. 1 is to purchase 2 motors-counter-clockwise tightening nuts. OR, use the generic Vision props sold on E-bay, that come without nuts.

If your Phantom has 2 silver nuts, and 2 black nuts, it's version 1.1.1, and can use the self-tightening props/nuts.
Hope that helps.

Also-there are about 4 threads right now, on using Vision props on the Phantom 1.0's.......just do a search.

havasuphoto said:
You have the "OG" Phantom, like me. All 4 nuts are silver, and all 4 prop nuts tighten in the same direction.
Self tightening props have 2 that tighten clockwise, and 2 that tighten counter-clockwise. However, if it's just the props, without nuts, they will still fit just fine. You just need to use your silver nuts to tighten them on.

Where you will run into problems is; if you want to upgrade to the DJI Vision props. Those props contain a nut built into the prop hub. And like my example above-2 of the props will not tighten.
You have 2 solutions. 1 is to purchase 2 motors-counter-clockwise tightening nuts. OR, use the generic Vision props sold on E-bay, that come without nuts.

If your Phantom has 2 silver nuts, and 2 black nuts, it's version 1.1.1, and can use the self-tightening props/nuts.
Hope that helps.

Also-there are about 4 threads right now, on using Vision props on the Phantom 1.0's.......just do a search.

PERFECT answer! Thank you!!!

Glad to help.
Also-make sure you check your prop nuts tightness after every 4 or 5 flights.
I make it a habit after I return home, to always check my nuts......LOL

Flyboy said:
So let me get some clarity from the experts. I have the original Phantom (June 2013). No version number on the bottom sticker. My props have the silver nuts on the props. I cannot use the self tightening props on this Phantom? Correct. I have a set of them and they seem to fit right on and tighten up.

Please clarify for me.

Thanks!!
I have the same model. I purchased the new self tightening props and machined the top off and drilled out the threads on the left-handed ones. That way, I was able to use my right handed nuts to hold them on. They worked fine but the nuts would come loose easily when tightened against the aluminum insets vs the plastic prop hub. I clipped a tree and broke one of those props so I bought two motors with the left hand threads instead of modifying more props.

You could always just change out the 2 cc motors and replace them with the LHT CC motor. Then you have 2 spare C motors.
If you put any kind of time on your phantom you will need those motors some time.

gbshovel said:
You could always just change out the 2 cc motors and replace them with the LHT CC motor. Then you have 2 spare C motors.
If you put any kind of time on your phantom you will need those motors some time.
On the CC motors-how do you tell the difference? I'm getting a set of the newer motors, just wondering which ones were CC and which were CCW? Are they labeled?

Well, you will have some nuts that come with it? Blacks are for the clockwise props, and they tighten anti clockwise. And white the other way around.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391279882424.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391279882424.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 608
Getting them used-so I don't know if the come with nuts or now.
Guess I could just look at the threads and figure it out. Just thought there might be a part number or letter on the bottom of the engines to tell them apart.
I'm not doing the soldering, so it would help the guy that is....

havasuphoto said:
Guess I could just look at the threads and figure it out. Just thought there might be a part number or letter on the bottom of the engines to tell them apart.
Simple: The nuts from your existing motors will not screw on to the motors with the left handed threads.

syotr said:
havasuphoto said:
Simple: The nuts from your existing motors will not screw on to the motors with the left handed threads.
Yea, that makes sense.
Which reminds me; I need to order a set of black/silver nuts, and also some self-tightening props. But, I'll wait til the motors get here.
Going to do some testing with my existing motors and some knock-off Vision props first.

The direction of the motor is determined by how it is soldered to the ESC , on the newer models there is just LH threads on the motors that have dimple on the top of the screw shaft and take a black nut.

gbshovel said:
The direction of the motor is determined by how it is soldered to the ESC , on the newer models there is just LH threads on the motors that have dimple on the top of the screw shaft and take a black nut.

And that's CW or CCW?

havasuphoto said:
gbshovel said:

And that's CW or CCW?
ccw (opposite of righty tighty, lefty loosey)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1