Self tightening props - Do they require a spanner to remove?

Reaction score
Hi

As per the topic...

...I remember seeing a special spanner being used to hold the motor, whilst the prop was being undone, but this was on like a promo video.

Do you actually require a special spanner, or did the spanner never make it into production?

...All the prop's you see for sale on ebay, none mention a spanner to remove them.

TIA

Re: Self tightening props - Do they require a spanner to rem

I just upgraded to the Vision props on my Phantom. No spanner needed.

While in most cases, it is a simple matter to grasp the motor and simply turn the prop in the reverse direction, I understand that after a long time, this might become more difficult. In the shipping group of my P2V, there was a small specialized wrench that had a custom fitted slot that can mate with one of the lugs on the motor. This can be used if any of the props are hard to remove, so far the few times I've taken a prop off, there has been no need for the wrench.

They are finger tight at most after normal flight, and easily removed by holding the motor with one hand and spinning the prop with the other. If you have a tip-over or other blade strike then there's a possibility that the torque involved will tighten a prop beyond where fingers alone will do the job. I carry the little DJI tool that came with the Vision in my flight case for this eventuality - only had to use it once for one prop so far!

Thanks for the replies....I didn't wanna buy some, fit them, only to find they couldn't be removed easily....

You are aware that the motor shafts need to have right hand threads on 2 of them and left hand threads on the other two, don't you? As far as I have read, you can't merely swap the old for the new style. Will someone correct me if I am mistaken?

Topeeka said:
You are aware that the motor shafts need to have right hand threads on 2 of them and left hand threads on the other two, don't you? As far as I have read, you can't merely swap the old for the new style. Will someone correct me if I am mistaken?

If you have a Phantom from mid 2013 onwards that came with 2 black nuts and two silver ones, then yes, they are a straight swap as DJI started fitting left-handed threads.

rilot....noted...!!! Good to have this timely info...I have a P2V with the new self-tightening props...and it sure makes a lot of sense to me to do it this way...a huge 'comfort' and safely factor...

So how do these self tightening props work with the carbon fiber type.

Tony

Uhrlto said:
So how do these self tightening props work with the carbon fiber type.

What do you mean?

I meant to say do the carbon fiber aftermarket pros screw on like the new DJI props or are they bolted on. Also would the CF prop need to be reamed out to fit over the motor threads.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20