Sego Canyon Petroglyphs and Ghost Town

Reaction score
In east central Utah, 5 miles north of the town of Thompson Springs along I-70, is a ghost town known as Sego. Indians first inhabited the area about 4000 years ago and were in the larger area as much as 8000 years ago. There different eras of Indian habitation are documented in the petroglyphs they left. Later on, after Europeans (white man) had forced the last of the Indians onto reservation they found coal and mined it for the railroad. When the railroad switched to diesel in the 1940's the town died.

Brian

Although I’m a colorblind person the color of the rock looks spectacular. Beautiful work and thank you for the information. As far as I remember you use -2/-2/-2. Do you still use this setting?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptorman0909
Although I’m a colorblind person the color of the rock looks spectacular. Beautiful work and thank you for the information. As far as I remember you use -2/-2/-2. Do you still use this setting?

Thanks OOO, my compensation settings are either -1 or -2 for the sharpness and saturation -- I always leave the contrast at 0 (zero). I also always use D-Cinelike and manual exposure control with ISO100 and f/5 or f/5.6 most of the time. White balance is fixed around 5600K give or take.

This video was shot over two days separated by nearly a year with the first segment on the petyroglyphs being shot last May and the later segment on the ghost town being shot last month. I believe the first segment was shot using -1/0/-1 and the second segment at -2/0/-2.

Brian

Reactions: ravedog and OOO
My compensation setting are always -1/-1/-1. Your footage is very clear. I’ll try zero for contrast. Thanks for sharing your settings.

My compensation setting are always -1/-1/-1. Your footage is very clear. I’ll try zero for contrast. Thanks for sharing your settings.

The reason I've not applied any compensation for contrast is that I feel that DJI doesn't know how to handle contrast very well so best not to allow them any more opportunity to screw things up. I've tried D-log numerous times but have never been impressed by DJI's ability to handle contrast adjustments at all so I don't use D-log and I don't let the camera tweak the contrast at all. The idea behind a negative compensation for sharpness and saturation is that these are synthetic adjustments that can best be done in post and by reducing them in-camera you present less manufactured detail for the compressor to handle. So, with a limited and fixed bandwidth if you reduce the synthetic detail the compressor has an easier time compressing the actual detail. I can increase saturation and sharpness in post and I don't hear anyone complaining about how soft my videos are...

Brian

Reactions: OOO
The color and overall look of your videos are very good. This explanation seems very logical to me. I’ll change my settings as well. Thanks!

Reactions: Raptorman0909

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik