Seen this landing skid before somewhere?

Not sure why you would want to...unless the legs are configured to place your compass in >>>PRECISELY<<< the same spot and orientation as stock...which it doesn't appear to do. You know what's going to happen then, don't you???? Your Phantom will suffer the dread "toilet bowl" effect.

Not to mention the seller sez the legs "can be modified to fit the DJI Phantom"...so it's not even designed to fit your bird as designed and provided. If it were me, I'd pass on that one, but it's your call. Just remember...Caveat emptor!

PF

PF is right, if you do find/buy that set (I couldn't locate it anywhere else either through a quick search just now), you'll need to find a way to get the compass back in the proper location and orientation.

Your options are to go with a set like this, with a mounting pad for that exact option: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1075118/ ... erialId=62

...or, cannibalize one of your stock DJI gear legs to build a post to mount the compass to (if you buy landing gear that doesn't provide the proper location).

OI Photography said:
cannibalize one of your stock DJI gear legs to build a post to mount the compass to (if you buy landing gear that doesn't provide the proper location).

+1 - then you can use about any landing gear

simonthk said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221310166397&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Can anyone tell me where I can buy this landing skid in a non bidding process?

Thanks

I believe I saw someone post that they got those kinds of skids at Hobbyking, and it does appear they have that kinda stuff:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rentPage=1

PhantomFan said:
Not sure why you would want to...unless the legs are configured to place your compass in >>>PRECISELY<<< the same spot and orientation as stock...which it doesn't appear to do. You know what's going to happen then, don't you???? Your Phantom will suffer the dread "toilet bowl" effect.

Not to mention the seller sez the legs "can be modified to fit the DJI Phantom"...so it's not even designed to fit your bird as designed and provided. If it were me, I'd pass on that one, but it's your call. Just remember...Caveat emptor!

PF
I can just cut the part from my stock legs to the end where the compass is placed and use that together with this one.
This landing gear I link to, seems to be one of the best solutions for lightweight and video footage with gopro. I can look straight down and get no landing gear in the picture. Sure I can buy the simonsay one, but the price is really high and I also need to buy carbon besides that.

EMCSQUAR said:
OI Photography said:
cannibalize one of your stock DJI gear legs to build a post to mount the compass to (if you buy landing gear that doesn't provide the proper location).

+1 - then you can use about any landing gear
Ya Im not afraid of destroying bad stuff :) then Im forced to find some better solution.

Gizmo3000 said:
simonthk said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221310166397&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Can anyone tell me where I can buy this landing skid in a non bidding process?

Thanks

I believe I saw someone post that they got those kinds of skids at Hobbyking, and it does appear they have that kinda stuff:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rentPage=1
It sure does seem like them. But the price is the same as simonsay´s almost. I would have thought abit cheaper for a pair of 4. Thank you a lot for the link. Ill think of what to do :)

My understanding of the compass location is that it must be in proper ORIENTATION....in 2 dimensions, vertical and yaw-wise, but the exact POSITION under the PH is not critical. Simensays also sells a similar...splayed stick set selling the base attachment to PH and you buy and cut CF legs to length of choice.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1019077/ ... ar-v2.html

They include a small compass attachment so that the compass is mountred vertically and oriented properly. But, since the legs are angled outward, there is NO WAY that the compass is physically placed in the same position under the Ph as it is in stock gear. And that works fine....apparently.

I WOULD buy the Simensays gear, since it cuts almost 20 gms off stock landing gear and has a lot of other advantages, wider stance, higher clearance for the camera, etc.. except I can't stomach paying $42 for 4 small pieces of plastic...and then having to buy the CF legs on top of that.

IMO, landing gear is where one can really bloat....or shave...weight on or off the bird. And the stock gear is really terrible for LANDING.

I have a set of the shapeways landing gear that you refer to, haven't installed it as yet, still not sure if I will or not, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes if/when I do.

Peter Patricelli said:
My understanding of the compass location is that it must be in proper ORIENTATION....in 2 dimensions, vertical and yaw-wise, but the exact POSITION under the PH is not critical.

Correct. Get the orientation wrong by more than 15 degrees or so and you'll have a GUARANTEED flyaway via TBE. The position/location of the compass doesn't matter (other than it needing to be far from anything ferrous or that causes interference). My compass is sitting on the outside of the opposite leg it shipped on.

Peter Patricelli said:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1019077/dji-phantom-landing-gear-v2.html

They include a small compass attachment so that the compass is mountred vertically and oriented properly. But, since the legs are angled outward, there is NO WAY that the compass is physically placed in the same position under the Ph as it is in stock gear. And that works fine....apparently.

I have the Simensays V3. It's great, and works well with my gimbal. The weight savings is huge.

Peter Patricelli said:
I WOULD buy the Simensays gear, since it cuts almost 20 gms off stock landing gear and has a lot of other advantages, wider stance, higher clearance for the camera, etc.. except I can't stomach paying $42 for 4 small pieces of plastic...and then having to buy the CF legs on top of that.

It is a bit expensive, but an option is to 3d-print your own. The thing is, you're paying about that much for other big fat landing skids that weigh over 90 grams. So one way to look at it isn't on the amount of material you're paying for, but the weight savings you're gaining.

Peter Patricelli said:
IMO, landing gear is where one can really bloat....or shave...weight on or off the bird. And the stock gear is really terrible for LANDING.

+100. This is absolutely key. The stock landing gear weighs 47-49g. By swapping out the landing gear to Simensays, I went to 27g. That's HUGE. Try shaving 20g off your Phantom by swapping out a single component and you quickly run out of options. This kind of mod is what I used to run 4400mah batteries, Tarot Gimbal + GoPro3 and stay under 1200g. That directly nets to added flight time (over 14 min for the above configuration, or over 22 minutes for a naked Phantom w/o gimbal).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj