Seeking advise from all levels of drone operators

HMR

Reaction score
I have been hunting for a used p3a or p3p for a while now, assuming that's what I wanted as my first real drone. I thought I wanted that level of drone but at a used price to save some money. But after reading issues of camera clarity and fly always and alike, it kind of made me nervous spending that kind of money on something "used" and with my lack of experience. I realize that some of the issues are relate to operator error (what most likely would happen to me) as well as dji quality.
That got me thinking and re-evaluating my immediate needs versus my "perceived" future needs. I have noticed in my area that there are a couple people selling new sealed p3 standards for around $400.
I think I know the differences between the standard and the advanced and pro models per the website. Camera quality, and lightbridge for extra range.

So my question to you all is, as a newbie with very limited experience with a couple of copters and one mini quad, what is your opinion for the near future to learn on? I am not sure how much I plan to use a drone and how often but I think I won't need 4k quality (on the pro) since I have nothing to play it on. The 2.7k should be good enough. Is that the same for the p3a as the p3s. As for range, I can't see myself at this level letting the quad get out of my sight while I learn, so lightbridge might not be needed.

So the million dollar question or in this case the $400-$800 question is what are your opinions/observations on using the p3s to learn on and then see what drone technology advances to in the coming years.

Tks in advance for your thoughtful comments..

If it helps, you can get a P3A at jet.com for $719 new-in-box.

I recently faced a similar decision and went with the Advanced. The deal makers for me were:

- Lightbridge. It is infinitely better - more reliable, less latency, greater range - than the WiFi on the Standard. Side note to this: The controller for the Advanced is the same as the Pro, and is virtually the same as the Inspire. It has more dedicated and programmable buttons for doing stuff so you don't need to awkwardly touch the screen on your smartphone or tablet. The Standard's RC is essentially a warmed-over P2 controller.

- Arguably better camera. The Advanced uses the same tech as the Professional, just lower data rate. The Standard is different. Side note to this: The choice of filters for the Advanced/Pro is much, much greater than what is currently available for the Standard.

If you can get a Standard for $400 and cost is an issue, then it makes sense. But I haven't seen any new Standards at that price.

Im in (was in) the same situation as you!

You can get a new P3S from Amazon for $487. I went with the P3S because Im a noob to multirotors and if for whatever reason I move away from this hobby or if I manage to destroy the P3S, Im not out $700+. If I feel I want to upgrade to a better model, I can always sell the P3S and pay a little more for the 4k and up.
I took baby steps, going from toy grade "FPV" quads to micro's then to entry level hobby grade (just got it yesterday and waiting for the weather to improve to fly it!).
Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Good luck!

I first bought a standard but when the advanced went on sale I only had to pay 100 more for advanced so the plan was to return standard to Best Buy and apply that plus 100 and buy the advanced. Turns out I kept both and Best Buy gave me a 200 rebate because standard went on sale for 200 cheaper right after I bough it. I have heard of problems with all variants of the phantom but I haven't had one problem with either drone. They both work extremely well with absolutely no problems. Not sure why all the talk of problems. Maybe I'm just lucky but I would recommend these drones to anyone. I do like the advanced better for the same reasons mentioned above. Mainly lightbridge but I will say the standard flies more than far enough and takes excellent video and pictures. Both of mine are completely stock.

P3S is a fine bird an sounds like what is what you are looking for . If distance isn't an issue ..which can be increased
and you don't need 4K the Standard would suit you .

Reactions: jointeffort
Tks for that info. I was really hoping the mods would have left it in the p3a and p3pro space to get both sides of the story. Personally I am leaning towards a p3s as a less expensive way to get into the sport and less on the line if I screw up. It seems there are some issues that some pilots of p3a and p3p succumb to during flight and I would hate worry or lose too much $$$ if it or I mess up.

My personal suggestion is to go with P3A. Flying and remain in line of sight with a FPV beast like the Phantom becomes boring after a couple of flight. The real amusement is going beyond your sight and use it as a bird camera to discover, filming, taking pics etc... To do this a P3A is more reliable and performing than the standard and in my opinion is worth the 300 extra bucks. If i plan to stay in LOS i have more fun with my T-Rex 450.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

D
My personal suggestion is to go with P3A. Flying and remain in line of sight with a FPV beast like the Phantom becomes boring after a couple of flight. The real amusement is going beyond your sight and use it as a bird camera to discover, filming, taking pics etc... To do this a P3A is more reliable and performing than the standard and in my opinion is worth the 300 extra bucks. If i plan to stay in LOS i have more fun with my T-Rex 450.

Do you have one ? Am just curios if you don't how you know it's more reliable .
Believe me not all have distance issue .Mine would go over 6k stock .

I am in the UK and a complete newbie when it comes to quads. I decided to go for the standard as they are currently about half the price of the pro and advanced models. Like you I decided that as a newbie it was better to risk crashing / losing the lower priced model. I have been really pleased with the features and ease of flying so far. Good luck whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Tks for that info. I was really hoping the mods would have left it in the p3a and p3pro space to get both sides of the story. Personally I am leaning towards a p3s as a less expensive way to get into the sport and less on the line if I screw up. It seems there are some issues that some pilots of p3a and p3p succumb to during flight and I would hate worry or lose too much $$$ if it or I mess up.
Do some more reading in that section or look in my search for more threads like yours as I'm sure there are several .
They all going to have some issue or they may not . If for sure distance is what you want go with the Pro/Adv because of the Lightbridge .
You don't have to jump out there to start with .

D

Do you have one ? Am just curios if you don't how you know it's more reliable .
Believe me not all have distance issue .Mine would go over 6k stock .

Sure! I've moved from standard to p3a otherwise i wouldn't spit out suggestions:)
Lightbridge is much better than 5.8 wifi connection and 2.7 k camera images are simply fantastic and the remote control too is better. I keep thinking that p3s is ok but if i had to come back i would have gone straight to a p3a.
Obviously is just my personal opinion

Sure! I've moved from standard to p3a otherwise i won't spit out suggestions:)
Lightbridge is much better than 5.8 wifi connection and 2.7 k camera images are simply fantastic and the remote control too is better. I keep thinking that p3s is ok but if i had to come back i would have gone straight to a p3a.
Obviously is just my personal opinion

Then it was a good suggestion Ikaro .:)

Im in (was in) the same situation as you!

You can get a new P3S from Amazon for $487. I went with the P3S because Im a noob to multirotors and if for whatever reason I move away from this hobby or if I manage to destroy the P3S, Im not out $700+. If I feel I want to upgrade to a better model, I can always sell the P3S and pay a little more for the 4k and up.
I took baby steps, going from toy grade "FPV" quads to micro's then to entry level hobby grade (just got it yesterday and waiting for the weather to improve to fly it!).
Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Good luck!

I completely agree. I'm taking it slow too since I'm a noob to quads. I get scared every time I fly over losing/breaking a $500 toy.

I started with a quad that used standard WiFi and was constantly disappointed with lack of range. Once I went to P3P (I wish I had done P3A though) I loved it.

The P3 family is rock solid and a great performer so you won't go wrong there but it's night and day difference between P3S and P3A/P if for no other reason than Lightbridge.

I started with a quad that used standard WiFi and was constantly disappointed with lack of range. Once I went to P3P (I wish I had done P3A though) I loved it.

The P3 family is rock solid and a great performer so you won't go wrong there but it's night and day difference between P3S and P3A/P if for no other reason than Lightbridge.

May I ask why you wish you went with P3A rather than the P3P?

My P3S flies far enough away that I cant see it. Granted, my eyesight isn't the best, but when you have to squint to find it, and finally look to your tablet to see if its still flying, well, I guess what I'm saying is I don't need to fly miles away. I bought this as a camera platform, not a long range robot with eyesight. Anything I need to take pictures of I can see. Sounds like you might want a P5S, but that just my opinion.

I was also very torn between the Pro/Adv and Std. For me though I couldn't justify the cost of even the Std. The recent sale price finally dropped it into my range, but I was still torn with waiting until I could afford the Pro/Adv or jumping on the Std. I finally just bit the bullet and went for it realizing if I waited I would probably never get any of them, but if I jumped into and maybe make some cash on the side, then I could justify upgrading down the road and the initial investment wouldn't be wasted, but money well spent as a learning experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20