Seeing the actual location of the GPS satellites you lock onto

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you are already aware of this but maybe some people are not.
Here's a cool way to actually SEE where the satellites your Phantom is locking onto are located and why the signals might not be as strong as you would like at certain times.

You will need a GPS such as a Garmin, TomTom etc or a phone with an app that lets you see the GPS satellite numbers you are connected to

On my Garmin Nuvi 2460, here is the screen that shows the satellites it is connecting to
GPS_Satellite_Locations_1_zpsjvvktpxr.jpg

Under the blue "signal strength" bars, you see numbers. Those are the numbers assigned to various satellites. Each satellite has a unique number. In this case, My Nuvi is connecting to 2,3,5,6,17,24,28 and 30

Now, to see where these satellites are physically located, go to the following FAA website....
Real-Time WAAS Satellite Status

and you will see this......
GPS_Satellite_Locations_2_zpsclkfdimg.jpg

Now you can find the satellites (by number) and see where they are located.
Notice the satellites with the strongest signal are usually closer. (duh)
Cool huh?

you might be surprised just how far away the satellites that your Phantom locks onto are from you!

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
I'm sure most of you are already aware of this but maybe some people are not.
Here's a cool way to actually SEE where the satellites your Phantom is locking onto are located and why the signals might not be as strong as you would like at certain times.

You will need a GPS such as a Garmin, TomTom etc or a phone with an app that lets you see the GPS satellite numbers you are connected to

On my Garmin Nuvi 2460, here is the screen that shows the satellites it is connecting to
GPS_Satellite_Locations_1_zpsjvvktpxr.jpg

Under the blue "signal strength" bars, you see numbers. Those are the numbers assigned to various satellites. Each satellite has a unique number. In this case, My Nuvi is connecting to 2,3,5,6,17,24,28 and 30

Now, to see where these satellites are physically located, go to the following FAA website....
Real-Time WAAS Satellite Status

and you will see this......
GPS_Satellite_Locations_2_zpsclkfdimg.jpg

Now you can find the satellites (by number) and see where they are located.
Notice the satellites with the strongest signal are usually closer. (duh)
Cool huh?

you might be surprised just how far away the satellites that your Phantom locks onto are from you!

Very interesting. You might find this web site interesting as well. This show both GPS AND GLONASS satellites

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    723.9 KB · Views: 546

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan