Section 333

Reaction score
Ok, If I may inquire from some of you. i just recived my FAA Exemption and I'm alittle confused.
I'm granted exemption from 14 CFR 61.23(a)(c), 61.101(e)(4)(5), 61.113(a), 61.315(a), 91.7(a), 91.119(c), 91.121, 91.151(a)(1), 91.405(a), 91.407(a)(1), 91.409(a)(1)(2) and 91.417(a)(b).
Now part of the confusion is the conditions and limitation list seem to contridict the above exemptions. I thought I covered my bases but one of the main things I was looking for was relief from having to aquire any type of standard pilots certificates (transport,commercial,private,recreational or sport). If I have exemption from medicals how can I be required to obtain a certificate?

Thanks

Ok, If I may inquire from some of you. i just recived my FAA Exemption and I'm alittle confused.
I'm granted exemption from 14 CFR 61.23(a)(c), 61.101(e)(4)(5), 61.113(a), 61.315(a), 91.7(a), 91.119(c), 91.121, 91.151(a)(1), 91.405(a), 91.407(a)(1), 91.409(a)(1)(2) and 91.417(a)(b).
Now part of the confusion is the conditions and limitation list seem to contridict the above exemptions. I thought I covered my bases but one of the main things I was looking for was relief from having to aquire any type of standard pilots certificates (transport,commercial,private,recreational or sport). If I have exemption from medicals how can I be required to obtain a certificate?

Thanks
Congratulations! Have you reviewed the attachment I posted here----> http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/guidelines-for-legally-operating-a-uas-in-north-carolina.48078/ You are granted a blanket exemption but until you get a pilots permit you can't operate above 200ft. Plus you need to send all your info to the NCDOT Aviation UAS program

Reactions: Brad Pierce
ok if I understand, I can operate for commercial purposes under 200' without a pilots certificate? Ok just read your letter good info thanks.

Last edited:
I was looking for was relief from having to aquire any type of standard pilots certificates (transport,commercial,private,recreational or sport).
That is not possible since the FAA has required an airman certificate for all approved exemptions. They are not going to make a special consideration for you -- since it means they'd have to then do the same for everyone else. If you challenge them on that, they will claim it's required by 49 USC§ 44711. That's not entirely true those since 49 USC§ 44701 gives the FAA the power to exempt anyone from that law.

If I have exemption from medicals how can I be required to obtain a certificate?
You can use a driver's license in place of a third class airman medical certificate. That should be noted in your approved exemption. If it's not, you could submit a request to amend your exemption.

ok if I understand, I can operate for commercial purposes under 200' without a pilots certificate?
That is not correct. You must follow everything in your approved exemption. The FAA allows people to fly commercially under 200' without a COA -- as long as you're far enough away from all airports.

You should have been given a 333 you can operate under the blanket COA for 333 exemtions if you need to operate above 200ftAGL then you need to apply for a Civil COA

Ken Cruise, you must follow all requirements in the approved exemption. That means you cannot operate below 200' without an airman certificate.

This is what I am reading from.

Attachments

• Guidelines for Legally Operating a UAS in NC_Page_2.jpg
    Guidelines for Legally Operating a UAS in NC_Page_2.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 431
Ok, you would think for being in a state agency for 17 yrs I would be better at this jargon but this is kinda crazy for us laymen. Thank you for your input that's what makes this a great forum!

Ken Cruise, are you saying that document allows people to fly commercially without an airman certificate? If so, please point out the specific text. I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: Ken Cruise
If you did not request the correct or compete exemptions then you will need to ammend or just work with what you are given. If you are satisfied with your expemtions then get an Airspace Authorization

So say someone like myself (who is a paraplegic) applies for 333 exemption. Can I or can't I be granted exemption due to my physical limitations?

Can I or can't I be granted exemption due to my physical limitations?
There should be no issue as long as you're able to fly safely. I wouldn't even mention that if you submit a petition for exemption -- unless you're asking for exemption from certain regulations due to your handicap.

Commercial entities ask for relief from airworthiness certification requirements as allowed under Section 333, in addition to relief from regulations that address general flight rules, pilot certificate requirements, manuals, and maintenance and equipment mandates.

If he asked for the correct exemptions including pilot cert reqs and they were approved the he has automatically been given a blanket COA and needs nothing more. If he didn't thenhe's gonna have to get the certs it or get an exemption

Reactions: Quadad
You know because of my position I was trying to obtain all possible requirements that may be in place outside of my agency because at the moment we do not have a policy in place for their use. I am trying to prove their relevance and collecting data to support the use of drones. Honestly this is one of those times when asking for forgiveness instead of permission may be the way to go. This is far to convoluted.

If he asked for the correct exemptions including pilot cert reqs
The FAA will not exempt anyone from the airman certificate requirement. You can ask, but they will not honor the request -- for the reason I mentioned above.

will you be required to ALWAYS fly under 200'
Yes, but only for commercial purposes and only if you don't get a COA. Most commercial operations do not exceed 200', so it's not an issue for most people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic