Section 333 Denial

Also many require Liability Insurance. It's not expensive but it should be included in your business model.

The insurance amount that was quoted to me was around CAD$650 for a $100,000 liability, around $100 more for $500,000 and $100 more for $1M.
I do not find that inexpensive since my whole photo/video insurance is less than $400 yearly.
That's in Québec, Canada

The insurance amount that was quoted to me was around CAD$650 for a $100,000 liability, around $100 more for $500,000 and $100 more for $1M.
I do not find that inexpensive since my whole photo/video insurance is less than $400 yearly.
That's in Québec, Canada

I wish I had better insight to help you but working at $400/annually that leaves little room for anything let alone liability insurance. Mine runs $600 for $500K which is very reasonable in terms of Aviation Insurance. It takes $$ to run a business and insurance is one of those things that you should have early on if you want to do this as a business.

I wish I had better insight to help you but working at $400/annually that leaves little room for anything let alone liability insurance. Mine runs $600 for $500K which is very reasonable in terms of Aviation Insurance. It takes $$ to run a business and insurance is one of those things that you should have early on if you want to do this as a business.
I will definitely get the insurance, of course. I just do not find it inexpensive. My actual $400 insurance for photo/video work covers me for $1M and does cover dangerous possible situations like falling spotlights, exploding bulbs, falling off a stepladder, what have you... Flying a very small UAV like a Phantom 3 is just an added danger, but I understand that getting in airspace world gets one in another world of insurance policies. One would hope for a progressively reduced fee with years of experience, but I sure wouldn't bet on it...

I will definitely get the insurance, of course. I just do not find it inexpensive. My actual $400 insurance for photo/video work covers me for $1M and does cover dangerous possible situations like falling spotlights, exploding bulbs, falling off a stepladder, what have you... Flying a very small UAV like a Phantom 3 is just an added danger, but I understand that getting in airspace world gets one in another world of insurance policies. One would hope for a progressively reduced fee with years of experience, but I sure wouldn't bet on it...
First let me apologize. I completely misunderstood your previous comment and as such my reply totally does not fit.

I would like to think "years of experience" might help but, at least in my instance, it does not. I've been flying R/C for 4 decades and have served for years as an R/C Flight Instructor and mentor to many students. The insurance company is quick to "disperse" the new "Risk" of RC Aviation upon us all.

I live in Michigan and have approached a few realtors I personally know and they are all saying that I need a commercial license for them to use me. Kinda sad that I was looking to make a little money on the side and will have to jump through all these hoops and that still won't allow me to do it due to not being a licensed pilot. Kinda silly! Also I was reading somewhere online that the commercial license won't go into effect until 2017?
I believe some have been getting around this by not charging for the flights, just the editing of the photos.

I believe some have been getting around this by not charging for the flights, just the editing of the photos.
That's a loophole that was closed many moons ago. Some still think this is a work around but I can assure you that won't fly when the poo hits the fan. Also charging for a "Thumb Drive" is one they are well aware of. The intent of the flight is the key factor in their decision process.

Let's try another loophole...
What if I say : I loaned my UAV to the owner and helped him get photographs of his house with it. Then he gave me the photographs to edit. ;)

As for loopholes, I'm a private pilot and we're not allowed to charge anything for flights. We *can* split the actual cost of the flight (e.g. fuel), but throughout all of our training, we're repeatedly told any sort of loophole (i.e. I'm not charging for the flight, just the burger at the other end, etc, etc) won't work in practice. The FAA isn't dumb. Now, you're mileage may vary as I've never tested the system..

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't feel like testing the system either, even if I'm not under FAA rule but its canadian equivalent. In 45 days I should have my certificate and insurance. I can wait that long. Then it will be the matter of accumulating a few COAS before asking for a permanent one (If I understood well). Holidays will help stand the wait.

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA doesn't care about your loopholes. Fly as part of a commercial transaction and all it takes is a few clicks for someone to rat you out. If you plan to make a business out of it, go legit. The process is convoluted but should hopefully get easier in 12 to 18 months.

And if you think the process for getting legit for commercial use is complicated, let me tell you about the amount of approvals, insurance and paperwork needed to fly a drone in closed set operations in Los Angeles. I've done 22 of them over the past two months.

As I've said before, I will definitely be legit, as I've been for more than 30 years in standard photo and video. I'm lucky to be in Canada, though. A project approval is usually under 21 days I'm told. And new legislation probably next spring.

Fly as part of a commercial transaction and all it takes is a few clicks for someone to rat you out.

This.

All it takes is one pissed off idiot to screw you. It's not worth the risk. And nowadays, with the internet, that idiot can come from anywhere...

Reactions: JBG and BigAl07
Could someone send me a sample 333 request? The ones on the faa site are confusing. I just need a simple clear one for using my phantom 3 for real estate, photography, and videography

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20