Secondary GPS tracker to prevent loss?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just ordered my Phantom a few days ago. I plan to use mine purely for hobby, and at $700 it cost me about a full week worth of pay so I cannot risk losing it.

Are there any small GPS trackers that I can buy and attach to my copter so if a dreaded 'fly away' occurs I can recover it? I am also going to attach a label with my phone number and offering a $100 reward.

I did some googling and the ones I found seem to be meant for vehicle and/or stalking. :lol: I worry about adding too much weight to my phantom as I'll be using it with GoPro as well.

Please let me know, thanks!

Jay

I use the Garmin GTU 10 every time I fly and it works absolutely great. I have about 75 flights with the GTU10 and haven't run into any issues or interference at all. It's a bit expensive, but it definitely works well and gives me the peace of mind in case there is a run away or if I lose sight. It doesn't weigh much either, just use some Velcro to mount on the bottom of the phantom.

I have one of the cheaper ebay ones mentioned, and it works fine and gives me some peace of mind in case of the dreaded fly away.

Your right, I was thinking of another product that I seen advertised that was low profile and didn't read the details close enough on TrackR. I guess it would work if you had a good idea where it might have landed and wanted to zero in on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Your right, I was thinking of another product that I seen advertised that was low profile and didn't read the details close enough on TrackR. I guess it would work if you had a good idea where it might have landed and wanted to zero in on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

The other gps trackers like trackimo and the rfv16 can emit a tone or alarm when you get close to "home" in on it where its not totally visible like in thick woods or neighbors yard.

Trackr bravo is better for finding lost keys in your house.

Since they were mentioned originally in this thread:

From

GTU™ 10 | Garmin

Due to changing circumstances, the third party services necessary to support the operations of your GTU 10 tracker terminated Jan. 1, 2016. As a result, your GTU 10 is no longer operational. We apologize for the inconvenience

Reactions: jakobe75
Since they were mentioned originally in this thread:

From

GTU™ 10 | Garmin

Due to changing circumstances, the third party services necessary to support the operations of your GTU 10 tracker terminated Jan. 1, 2016. As a result, your GTU 10 is no longer operational. We apologize for the inconvenience

I read about this when I need a tracker for my dog and decided not to buy because it was going to be canceled, I thought "why would anyone buy this knowing its going to die?" sales plummited and there were a ton of folks in the hunting community that were angry....funny because Garmin's tagline is "Built to Last".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik