Second post - Question time

Reaction score
OK so I see that the DJIP2V+ can fly about 30 MpH. But does that mean it deal with about 30mph winds. I would hate to get it up on a mountain and find out that it was not up to the environment. Any comments on this subject?

I see a lot of guys talking about aftermarket add-ons (three-blade props, extra servo channels, multiple cameras), but I know that one thing about a hobby is the attraction to spend $$ and add stuff just to be more involved (this is true or practically any hobby). The only thing I have committed to so far are prop guards because I know that I am going to hit things at first. What are the most beneficial aftermarket goodies that folks typically acquire?

I've heard of waypoint s/w. Is it available yet? And if so, how. And oh, by the way, how much of the software basic or add-on stuff is Mac compliant? (I've got both Macs and PCs, so it isn't a real issue, but my Macs are significantly more portable so that may be a factor on what I end up using).

What is the actual range (in practice - not specsmanship) of the wifi extender? If I send the DJIP2V+ off on a GPS coordinates mission, I would like to maintain contact with the camera. Speaking of which, can the imaging system both capture video for storage (on the Micro SD) and relay the video to the controller at the same time?

Finally (for today) is the V+ camera controllable either before flight or during flight for parameters such as focal length, aperture (I have no idea what else it might be able to do)?

OK, that's enough for now. What say ye experts?

Tom

Let's say it can fly at 30 mph and you are flying into a headwind of 30 mph. The Phantom is flying but zero ground speed. Now turn the Phantom 180 degrees and fly with the 30 mph wind at 30 mph. The phantom is still flying at 30 mph but it's going over the ground at 60 mph.

I understand that Monte, maybe I needed to be clearer.

With regard to the speed issue, can it overcome a 30MpH headwind? or will it lose that contest? (And I don't think this is simply a matter of straight-line speed - won't it need some margin for maneuvering, and will that maneuvering margin cause it to lose the race?

I was trying to make it simple. If it can only fly 30 mph, no, it can't overcome a 30 mph head wind. Thats if heading directly into the wind. If you try to fly 90 degrees to the head wind it can still fly 30 mph but the wind will carry it away with it. The Phantom doesn't realize it is fighting wind unless in gps mode or you trying to correct for it to keep it in a spot relative to the ground. It can hover in a 30 mph wind and to it there is no wind but to it, it is in calm air but the wind will wisk it away at 30 mph. I wouldn't suggest flying in a stiff wind at all. If the quad could fly faster than the 30 mph it would be leaning quite a bit to do it and eat of battery time. Not really much fun that way imo.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl