Second flight with my second Phantom 2 and crash.

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvs1U0JKdc&feature=youtu.be

At some point my P2V+ stopped responding to directional controls (right stick) and decided to fligh one direction in to a tree.
All I could do was to turn it around but that didnt stop it flying one direction.
All four propellers gone and gimbal going crazy. (gimbal later fixed by tightening the screw under the ribbon cable).

Sorry for your misfortune, and happy you were able to repair the gimbal. Please don't be offended, but some analysis of your video: This was only your second flight. You were flying kind of wild & crazy, balls-to-the-walls, performing extreme maneuvers, in a relatively confined area surrounded by trees. The aircraft doesn't stop on a dime. I'm not so sure it was a loss of control as much as the inertia of your maneuver just carried her into the tree. If you plan to engage in high speed flying with radical turns and changes in direction, you need to select a more open location. I would offer that the Vision+ isn't designed to be a Ferrari...its an aerial camera platform. You should practice flying precision maneuvers at slower speeds. You are fortunate that this was not a more costly lesson.

I'm sorry to hear/see this >_<
I'm with Dirty Bird on this about inertia. I've flown things other than PV+ (my first flight today!) but this is something I learned quick.
I may be wrong but it seems you're flying in decently windy location surrounded by trees giving one direction to go which was the direction your phantom kept going.
I've done similar thing here in Nashville when I was flying on a golf course (shhhh).

I hope all gets fixed & back in the air soon! Good luck! ^_^

Dirty Bird said:
Sorry for your misfortune, and happy you were able to repair the gimbal. Please don't be offended, but some analysis of your video: This was only your second flight. You were flying kind of wild & crazy, balls-to-the-walls, performing extreme maneuvers, in a relatively confined area surrounded by trees. The aircraft doesn't stop on a dime. I'm not so sure it was a loss of control as much as the inertia of your maneuver just carried her into the tree. If you plan to engage in high speed flying with radical turns and changes in direction, you need to select a more open location. I would offer that the Vision+ isn't designed to be a Ferrari...its an aerial camera platform. You should practice flying precision maneuvers at slower speeds. You are fortunate that this was not a more costly lesson.

Agree. Very lucky to have come out of that the way you did :shock:

Look for a football oval and practice those stunt maneuvers there.

Dirty Bird said:
This was only your second flight.

second flight of my second P2V+ i had few hours of practice before I've lost my first one.
I was just testing this one to see if it flies ok as it was open box one.

But yeah you guys are right saying that visioin+ is not a ferrari as I have removed the camera and gimbal to test fly it without and it was much more agile.

by the way dont feel sorry for me guys as I actually think it was funny.
noone lost their life after all. LOL

second flight of my second P2V+ i had few hours of practice before I've lost my first one.

I think there's a clue hidden here....

Suppose I am just way to conservative. I have only had mine to max speed once and that was in a 200 acre wide open field with NOTHING around. The Phantom is very stable and will hold a pretty tight hover but she will not stop on a dime......

I have found that flying the maneuvers as listed in the Phantom 2 Vision + flight training guide really help you to get used to the bird's inertia, maneuverability and stability. I found that about 10 hours invested in just repeating basic to complex maneuvers on an open flight course really helped my skills and confidence as a quad pilot. Also experienced VRS (Vortex Ring State) and recovery methods as well - really interesting when the bird goes into the death wobble and you are able to recover. Flight practice time is a good investment.

phantomguy said:
that's commonly referred to as "momentum".

What happened had nothing to do with momentum.
On the video you cant tell when I was pulling the stick to slow it down.
It just wouldnt react and acted like it was pulled by a magnet.
To me it was something to do with the build in compass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers