SD Card Issues

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I like many others are new to all this and so am always grateful for some advice. Please be patient as I am new and may be asking a question that many may say "....not again!!"
I brought a Phantom 4. After many hours of reading manuals and watching tutorials etc, I took the Phantom for a flight....absolutely fantastic!!
An issue I cannot resolve is about the SD card.
1) Will only record with PAL and not NTSC (I live in Perth Australia) although TV uses PAL some tutorials suggest using NTSC as ? better video quality?
2) It will not record (video) anything above 1080p
3) THE MOST ANNOYING...not sure what I am doing wrong but, if I record a video and view it on one pc, when trying to view on another pc or on the tv etc, the card reads as being 'empty', no data is saved; all files appear deleted. This is irrespective if I 'safely' remove the card from the pc or not.
The card I am having issues with is the standard card provided with the phantom (lexar 16gb rated 10)
I brought another brand (Also rated 10+) but still have all the same issues.
Each card has been formatted in the quad.
All firm ware is up to date.
Any advice?
Much appreciated, have a good day!
Andrew

Very strange. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the DJI Go app? As for the main difference between NTSC and PAL is resolution quality. PAL produces fewer frames per second (25 fps) than NTSC (30 fps), but it produces more lines. An NTSC television will broadcast 525 lines of resolution, while a PAL television will broadcast 625 lines of resolution. As the lines of resolution increase, so does the amount of visual information which produces better picture quality and screen resolution.

Hi
Thanks for replying; your comments about PAL and NTSC have been taken on board.....
Reckon I'll delete and reinstall he DJI Go app as you suggest.
One other thing...as I said, this is all new to me in fact I've never joined a group or forum on line before. Did I post the question in the right spot?
Thanks again, much appreciated and I'll update my progress.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi
Thanks for replying; your comments about PAL and NTSC have been taken on board.....
Reckon I'll delete and reinstall he DJI Go app as you suggest.
One other thing...as I said, this is all new to me in fact I've never joined a group or forum on line before. Did I post the question in the right spot?
Thanks again, much appreciated and I'll update my progress.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi again
Have deleted and reinstalled an up to date version of the app. Same problems. I'll double check that I have the latest firmware just in case, besides that I'll go and have a beer and tackle the issue another time ....:(
have a good day!
Andrew

You might want to set the region in your device to US and try again.
It's worth a try.

Reactions: Pharm
If the video shows on one PC but not another, then we know it IS recording. Most likely a setting on the first PC is set to copy the file to the hard drive, then delete it from the card. I've seen this happen. NEVER use the "Automatically do so and so anytime a card is detected" thing. Always open File Explorer and play directly from the card or manually copy it to the folder of your choice. That way YOU have control over whether it's deleted or not. If you see it and play it on the first computer, then it's missing when you plug it in the second computer but back again when you plug it back into the first computer, it's a card problem. If it's missing when you put it in the first computer a second time, it's likely the first computer has copied it then deleted it.

Also consider Blue Bird's idea. I don't think that's the problem though because my computer has no problem with NTSC or PAL ( I'm in the U.S.). Try it anyway just to rule it out.

Last edited:
Hi
Sorry been away for a few days. After reading through various forums and peoples replies, I reset to factory state, updated firmware on the aircraft and the controller. All working perfectly well!
Thanks to everyone for their advice.....having a great time with the phantom; just taken it off from the beginner mode but taking things really easy and simply enjoying taking some videos and pics of my fantastic country!
Hope to start with point of interest and way points soon but watching a few tutorials first.
Cheers everyone for your help, safe flying, have a good day and happy fathers day to all in Aus.
Andrew

I'd suggest starting again.
Shoot 10 seconds of test video, no need to fly or have props on.
And see if the file is visible on your computers again.
PAL/NTSC shouldn't make any difference.
Hi, thanks for your tips, not too sure how all this works but have posted a reply that things have all been sorted out thanks.
I have had a look at some of the photos you have on your website; absolutely fantastic! I'm still learning and still do not have the confidence to fly over water (perhaps irrational!) but guess that will come in time. Out of curiosity, when taking your pics do you have the camera settings on auto or do you prefer to manually adjust the settings once you are at the point when you are going to take the shot ? I'm really enjoying flying the phantom but also need to make the most of the available camera...
Cheers chap, have a good day, thanks again.
Andrew

You might want to set the region in your device to US and try again.
It's worth a try.
Hi Blue Bird
Thanks for your suggestions...all sorted now! Sorry I'm not too familiar. With the forum thing....never belonged to one before but have posted a reply (hopefully to all) to say thanks and that its sorted. I reset everything and it worked but as time goes on, reckon I probably made some real rookie error!
Anyhow, thanks again have a good day
Andrew

Has the issue been resolved?
Hi Pharm
Thanks for your reply, always appreciated. Everything's working fine...reset things but probably a basic error on my behalf maybe
Anyhow enjoying things now, still taking small steps but will get there in the end.
Have a good day
Andrew

I have had a look at some of the photos you have on your website; absolutely fantastic! I'm still learning and still do not have the confidence to fly over water (perhaps irrational!) but guess that will come in time. Out of curiosity, when taking your pics do you have the camera settings on auto or do you prefer to manually adjust the settings once you are at the point when you are going to take the shot ?
Thanks Andrew ... I shoot everything in auto but If I'm concerned about a scene, I often use AEB to shoot a bracket of 3 shots at different exposure settings or I will use the right thumbwheel to adjust exposure up or down a little.

Hi Meta4
I did get an email from you; gmail account but noticed this...I'm sorry but your message did not make it to the intended recipient at PhantomPilots.com. Please read the original email message and use the link in that email message to visit the site and respond to the conversation or thread.

Sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or concerns you can contact us at [email protected].

Site Administrator
http://PhantomPilots.com

my response was...Aha, see how green I am? Will try the wheel advice later today hopefully...
Cheers
Andrew

Didn't want you thinking I wasn't grateful for your comments, thanks for your time!
Andrew

I recently had an issue with an SD card that I thought I should pass on to the group. The card in question was “Silicon Power” brand, purchased from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013GMWJ3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased 6 of these at once to use on my P3S and P3P drones. All 6 seemed to work fine, initially. Then one of the cards quit working in my P3P. It would work fine in my PC or in my P3 Standard, but not in my P3Pro. This made no sense to me, whatsoever. So I decided to try it one more time in the P3Pro. As I inserted the card into the slot, it suddenly “doubled over”.

Apparently it was cracked right down the center for some time, unbeknownst to me. In the Standard, it was gripped in a way that made proper connection. But in the Pro, that required pressure was absent.

Just a reminder of how really fragile these micro sd cards are. And how even illogical behavior can be explained if all the facts are known.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic