SD card and Best tablet to use

Reaction score
Greetings all just purchased a p4 what's the best card to upgrade to when I get to that point and second which tablet seems to be the best looking to make it dedicated to the p4 only any advice appreciated I know they have a list looking to hear from seasoned operators

shield tablet is awesome

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Samsung Galaxy Tab S or S2. High res screen lots of RAM

My favorites are the iPad Mini 4, Nvidia Shield K1, and Google Nexus 7 (2013). You can find a complete list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

As for memory cards, pretty much any class 10 memory card will work. You can find a list of commonly used memory cards here.

In order to use all of the Phantom 4's functions, I understand the tablet must have GPS capabilities which means it needs cellular as well as WFI. Does this mean I also have to have it on a cellular plan? I currently am using a iPhone 6 so if I want a larger display I need an iPad that's basically like my cell phone. Correct?

I literally just went through all this. Best advice I can give you is to first know the operating system differences in regards to the DJI GO app. The feature sets are slightly different between the two.

For example, iOS offers you 2x digital zoom in resolutions below 4K. It offers slightly more on-screen aircraft data and also allows you to change the name of your bird in the event you ever want to change the name. iOS also allows you to do full-screen FPV. I was unable to get that feature to work on android however I am fairly new at this as well. As you may read in various threads, the iOS app does feel a little more polished however it does appear to be more buggy. Some of the firmware issues that people have been reporting, I did not experience with android. I do experience some of them with iOS.

The only feature that I noticed in Android that iOS does not have, is the ability to tilt the gimbal by running your finger up and down the screen. iOS may have this but I could not get it to work. I actually tried it and that's how I found out about fullscreen FPV .

As for the tablets, I've tried the full price range. I started with a Galaxy Tab A and it performed very poorly. Just not enough horsepower in my opinion for the app. I returned that and picked up the Shield K1 which the performance was amazing. I think in Android devices, the K1 is the best overall value... Most power for the price point, integrated HDMI as well as microSD card capability. The death of the K1 for me was screen performance on bright sunny days. Even with a 70° angle sunshield, it was very difficult to use.

In the end I ended up with an iPad Pro 9.7 cellular. One thing to keep in mind about Apple devices is that unless it has a cellular chip, it is not going to have GPS and as others have mentioned, if you want all the features of the Phantom 4, you have to have GPS in your tablet. You do not have to activate the cellular in order for the GPS to work. Regardless of which Apple device you choose, if you choose to go that route, cellular is only about $130 more for the same device. Seeing that external GPS unit is $100 on average, I said what the heck and just went for the cellular device from the get-go even if there is a chance that I may not use any of the features that require the GPS. It's going to be that one time that I really really need it and don't have it that I'm going to be kicking myself in the ***.

I did a lot of research in the iOS devices. The iPad Pro by far had the most vibrant screen and one of the best antiglare ratings. Some reports I read even indicated that the iPad mini 4 was brighter but when I did a side-by-side comparison in the store, I could not discern the difference. The Pro and the Mini 4 are noticeably brighter than the Air 2.

If you opt to go Android, I would strongly consider the Shield K1. Just keep in mind that on very bright days, it might be a little challenging to use.

Good luck!
~Joe

So to clear up some confusion, what features of the P4 are not used when using an ipad that only has wifi capability? If its just a map. Ive started the phantom at home within my wifi, and i thought it caches a map.

But for funcitionaity purposes, a device with cellualr capability is better than a wifi device? What if just teathered my ipad to my phone when flying the P4? My ipad has a bigger screen

Reactions: Jack1926
So to clear up some confusion, what features of the P4 are not used when using an ipad that only has wifi capability? If its just a map. Ive started the phantom at home within my wifi, and i thought it caches a map.

But for funcitionaity purposes, a device with cellualr capability is better than a wifi device? What if just teathered my ipad to my phone when flying the P4? My ipad has a bigger screen

Tethering your phone does not tether the GPS. Without GPS in the tablet, you will not be able to use Follow Me nor change Home Point should you move ground location while the bird is in the air. I use a cellular model for the GPS, I did not activate the cellular service. I tether my phone when I need data.

Reactions: Jack1926

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4