SCREW REMOVAL

Reaction score
Ok I am looking for good ideas on how to get out one of the small Phillips head screws on the end of the arms. I had good German quality Phillips screwdrivers and broke them trying to remove one single screw. Everything is back together because I had no choice tonight but I got one of the small screws that will not budge. Needless to say but the head is completely messed up now. I even tried some small straight screwdrivers and twisted their tips. I am thinking either drilling out the head or trying to slot it but I do not want to mare the plastic or hurt the threads.

I thought I planned for them by taking them out first thinking they would have more pressure on them if they were removed last.

Anybody got any ideas? miniature ez-out?

go to lowes and get their house brand driver with the different bits. its 8 bucks and has about 30 bits. it has a tiny screwdriver bit. works great.

I got a set of small drivers at Radio Shack. You need a #0 Phillips. Anything larger will "cam" out of the slots, damaging them on the way. As a bonus, the small flat bladed drivers are handy for getting the gimbal dampening balls back into place after a hard landing.

With Phillips style heads you must use the correct size of it will become damaged. If the correct size will no longer work maybe you can slot it with a small dremal wheel.

Bill_Burkert said:
I had good German quality Phillips screwdrivers and broke them trying to remove one single screw

With respect, they couldn't have been that good quality if you managed to break them :-(

I have this set. They are perfect for all the Phantom screws and I've had mine apart and back together many times without any problems

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-78925-Reversible-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B000NI1D8M : UK
http://www.amazon.com/Draper-Expert-Reversible-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B000NI1D8M : US

I use the phillips driver that cam with my phantom 2. Did you,not get one in the box?

All the screwdrivers that I tried fit very well and I was able to remove the other three without issue but the remaining one will not budge at all. I have all my new fpv and Bluetooth to put in and I am stuck. The screw is now completely hosed so no new screwdriver will help at this time. Slotting seems to be the best bet.

Get a dril bit the size of the screw head and drill the head off. Careful not to drill any of the plastic.

Then when you open the housing you will be able to get a pair of pliers on to the bit left of the screw that is sticking out of the plastic.

Madkeen said:
Get a dril bit the size of the screw head and drill the head off. Careful not to drill any of the plastic.

Then when you open the housing you will be able to get a pair of pliers on to the bit left of the screw that is sticking out of the plastic.

+1

Just ordered a full screw set from helipal - cheap. All is well and glad I didn't get frustrated. Of course I was able to remove the thread part left behind by hand using my fingers., go figure.

I've had better luck with JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Phillips drivers when using Chinese fasteners, but they're difficult to find a la carte - I bought a set on amazon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik