Screens in sunlight

Reaction score
I am having serious trouble trying to use my Phantom the way it is supposed to be used. I am using a Galaxy s5 and I just cant see the screen in daylight. The brightness is up full. Tried various sunshades they dont help much. Tried an original Nexus 7 doesnt seem a lot better.

I tried turning up the EV and that helped a lot but I am afraid o the video being over exposed then.

Other than getting a set of goggles what is the best screen to see in sunlight? Or are they all crap?

I have used my light meter to test pure white on my Iphone 6plus, Ipad Mini2, Ipad Air2 and Nexus 7.
The Ratings are:
IPhone 6 Plus =11.0
IPad Air2 =10.9
Nexus 7 = 10.8
Ipad Mini 2 =10.4

You can see that although there is a slight difference in brightness, it is almost imperceptible about 1/2 stop.
Your best bet is to stand in the shade if at all possible and absolutely use a sunshade on the device.

The fact is, these screens are marginal at best in bright sunlight and if you can see the image at all, your doing fine.

Of course goggles in combination with the new hdmi card will be an answer, but they are cumbersome and expensive with still a need for LOS.

So, no final solution, except don't go spending a lot of money chasing screen brightness when standing in the shade or using a sun visor will do just as much, or better.

Reactions: ScottyT
Good afternoon UK

Nexus 7 II gotta tell you it's not easy... I made one and it does okay, always turning from the sun for a better look.
It is what it is... Remember the hood the old photographers used to use? a curtain almost(see photo below)... in bad times toss a towel over your head, then wrap it around your shoulders when your not needing it. Lest face it the bird holds nice and still for photos and LOS in those times is not needed.

cameracurtian.jpg

I had an iPad Mini 2 32GB, and besides not appreciating the Sun star glare on the screen, it would heat up, like it was ready for scalding somebody.
I switched it out, for this iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, and am very happy indeed. The reflection on the screen is all but gone, & with its A8X CPU, it does remain cool to the touch. This even after two batteries worth of flying.
The larger screen is definitely more pleasant visually, to my eyes. The cost is rather prohibitive to many, understandably so. But I wanted to have the best advantages, I could possibly afford. Now I have my dream Phantom kit.
And Ramen soup for dinner. Hahaha

By the way, where is the shade you folks have repeatedly mentioned? As when you are out in the middle of a large green space of terra firma. We were told, not to fly near trees, and here you are suggesting standing directly under one while flying. Hahaha
That doesn't work for everybody, unless we bring our own rubber tree... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I live in an area where there is very strong sunlight for most of the year (Israel). I fly using the Nexus 9 which gives pretty good screen results in all but the most severe sunlight.

That's one reason why I prefer the iPad Air 2.
It has an Anti-Glare screen film, which all but eliminates that mirror look..
Who would have thought, how useful that would be, while RC flying?

RedHotPoker

I have also an ipad air 2, unfortunatly I installed a protection glass and i guess this was not a good idea. I have a mirror instead of a screen when I use the rc in the sun.. May be we should avoid glass screen protection ?

So you "reversed the 'polarity'"of the Sun star? Brilliant.
No not you, I mean now it's brilliantly shining in your eyes again. Hahaha
Oh oh... Can you try to wet and remove it?
Or is it attached permanently?

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav