Scrabster, Thurso Caithness

Toorboy, you're at it again - making me feel old!!!

I remember on my first visit to Scrabster in the 1950's when Mum, Dad & me (I was about 8) walked from Thurso one day to watch St Ola depart - those were the days before Ro-Ro ferries, when any vehicles & cargo was loaded by crane. I think that the pier used in those days was the shorter of the 3 that stick out parallel to the one Hamnavoe is moored to. The next one along was the first Ro-Ro pier that I've used on a couple of occasions.

In the 50's there was mostly only 1 sailing a day each way - southbound from Stromness at about 8am to arrive in Scrabster in time to catch trains/busses sooth and a return journey N, departing at 1pm.

Might I be correct in assuming that when your family lived in Thurso they had connections with Dounreay? (but that's me being nosey)

Toorboy, you're at it again - making me feel old!!!

I remember on my first visit to Scrabster in the 1950's when Mum, Dad & me (I was about 8) walked from Thurso one day to watch St Ola depart - those were the days before Ro-Ro ferries, when any vehicles & cargo was loaded by crane. I think that the pier used in those days was the shorter of the 3 that stick out parallel to the one Hamnavoe is moored to. The next one along was the first Ro-Ro pier that I've used on a couple of occasions.

In the 50's there was mostly only 1 sailing a day each way - southbound from Stromness at about 8am to arrive in Scrabster in time to catch trains/busses sooth and a return journey N, departing at 1pm.

Might I be correct in assuming that when your family lived in Thurso they had connections with Dounreay? (but that's me being nosey)
hi Whitwellian
i was the yound lad during the 80s & thats when i was taken out fishing
with my old man & his buddys around caithness. the ola was doing two trips a day then i think
am not 100% sure though & it came in on the second pier & they stopped people fishing off second
pier at that time which was a pitty because it was good fishing for flat fish. :)
yeh your spot on about the family working at dounreay my grandad started working on
the pit for the nuclear junk they poured down it & my dad & uncle & their buddys all worked
there anyone that lived in thurso done a bit of time at dounreay lol
i am realy glad your enjoying the footage whitwellian :)
theres been a few folk on facebook enjoying it as well my plan was to hit fort william
in three weeks time and hit Caithness again in augest but i done think funds are gonna
stretch that far this year so i will wait & see :)

Yes, most of Thurso seems to have done time at "The Plant" Uncle Jon went up there in about 55 until he retired in the 1980's.

At that time, his wife suggested moving back south to where the rest of their families lived - his answer was something to the effect that "I'm quite content here" and so they stayed.

He kept going in to the plant until he was about 80 on a consultative basis as often the plans didn't quite tie in with what they found when the PFR was being dismantled. Even for his last 10 years they still kept calling on his knowledge of how it had been assembled!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers