Scary Moment...

Reaction score
No...not flying or crashing... ;)

I've noticed my Phantom has been tracking a few degrees to the right when pushing the right stick straight ahead. This morning I decided to attach the controller and the Vision+ to the computer to recalibrate. This was the first time I've connected either since I received them a couple of months ago. The controller calibration looked fine, but I recalibrated anyway since I was connected. No problem.

Then I connected the Vision+ and unfortunately forgot to disconnect my network cable to prevent a forced auto-update. As soon as I ran the Assistant, it immediately started updating. No warning, no permission requested...nada. Within less than a second, I snatched the USB cable out of the bird. In retrospect, that wasn't the brightest thing to do. When I power-cycled the Vision+, the camera was limp, and I had a single yellow light on the right front nacelle. So here I am thinking, "Great I bricked it!" :shock:

I shut the down the Assistant, Vision+ still sitting here with the single yellow light, and I am wondering if the USB is even going to recognize when I plug her in? I attached the cable and, thankfully, I heard the beep as the computer registered the connection. I ran the Assistant software and it again began auto-updating without requesting permission. It turns out what was updating was the camera/gimbal firmware. When it finished, it alerted me that there was a firmware update from 3.00 to 3.04, but, thankfully, that update did NOT auto-apply. Calibrated my sticks in the Assistant (as in the RC Assistant, they already seemed fine), disconnected, and counted my blessings that I still had my Phantom!

I haven't flown yet, but everything seems fine. Not sure why DJI forced the camera update without requesting my approval? Personally, that is CRAP! :twisted: My gimbal seems to behave exactly as it did before. Mine never did a big dance when you powered on. It simply straightened, camera went level for a second, then the camera tipped to 45 degrees...same thing it does now.

Mine flys great with latest updates....you will be fine !....you have to be brave now lol

:lol:

4wd said:
That camera gimbal update stops that peculiar twitching it did when starting up, I wondered if there was a concern it was going to damage itself long term.

My camera fell down during this twitch and broke the ribbon cable. Shame I didn't have the opportunity to update the firmware. :(

Yea I dunno dirty..inevitably you may need to update due to required fixes. Be good if you could control descent speed tho.

I'm still on 3.0 and running strong... afraid to upgrade... old saying goes... if it aint broke don't fix it... lol I read that the new app update with ground station / waypoint features will work with 3.0

Am i understanding correctly - 3.04 was separate from the gimbal/camera update? If so, and the 3.04 is the cause of the TBE and compass declination issues - and 3.0 is clear of those issues - is it possible to install 3.0 again? (until DJI comes out with 3.05 to fix 3.04...hopefully)

rrhansen said:
Am i understanding correctly - 3.04 was separate from the gimbal/camera update? If so, and the 3.04 is the cause of the TBE and compass declination issues - and 3.0 is clear of those issues - is it possible to install 3.0 again? (until DJI comes out with 3.05 to fix 3.04...hopefully)

Yes - the P330CB update was separate - to cure gimbal twitch issues. And no, the compass errors have been around since the beginning. You may not have noticed if you are not in an area with high declination.

Thanks- was running P2V but had done no firmware updates (it was rock solid - never more than 3-4' off hover point and never wandered...wish I hadn't sold it for the P2V+... although the camera improvements with the gimbal are like color versus black & white). Am in a reasonable declination area (Seattle) - +16d.12m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic