Scary flying over the ocean...again...

Reaction score
On Phantom #2... thanks to the ocean...well maybe my flying skills too...., but you'll see why. I just can't help being drawn to the big waves and spectacular shots that call for such a great platform like the Phantom. You don't see it in the vid but it was 20 km winds gusting, I had a hell of a time bringing it back. and that was a nice day...An edgy slightly surreal vid of a beautiful place for your viewing pleasure...

http://youtu.be/UbINjvJPzEg

Very creative video! I love the locations but as usual I was also asking myself, "Is this going to end well or is it another of his infamous crash-into-the-water videos?" :)

Have you tried flying with a 2800 mah battery? My flight times have gone from 5 minutes to 8 minutes. That ought to give you just enough time to reach the shore -- though crashing on those rocks wouldn't exactly be a picnic.

Looking forward to your next installment.

2800 mah? I want that! My flight time sucks, 4 1/2 min average with 2200. One flight out and back, done. 2800 is 20% more juice so I should get another minute, or so. Makes sense, minus a little efficiency. Who makes them, how much, how heavy?

Roadkilt, I bought Zippy 2800 batteries from Hobby King, U.S.A. warehouse. I forget what I paid but they were cheap. Sorry, but I'm about to head for the airport and I don't know what the weight is. I dremeled the battery door and connect outside, quick and easy.

justsomeguy... you obviously prefer predictable, plain vanilla videos over cheese. Yawn............

justsomeguy said:
GearLoose said:
justsomeguy... you obviously prefer predictable, plain vanilla videos over cheese. Yawn............

Nope. You couldn't be more wrong.

I prefer interesting, creative, and imaginative videos vs. painfully amateurish, uninteresting footage that has been further degraded by really horrible editing.

Try again?

Justsomeguy... Maybe you could post one of your interesting, creative, and imaginative videos to help us amateurs learn from it.

Nice vid. Well done. A couple questions..

1) What gimbal do you use ?
2) Did you have to do any post-processing to remove shake, jello, etc?

Next time you find yourself fighting wind to get home, switch to ATTI - your top speed doubles and should have no problem moving upwind in a 20 knot breeze. Also, if you are not already, get closer to the ground. Do not try to fight the wind 100 feet up - I've found it can be *quite* faster up there than near the surface. (not really relevant in this case since you were already low altitude but thought worth mentioning)

TickTock said:
Nice vid. Well done. A couple questions..

1) What gimbal do you use ?
2) Did you have to do any post-processing to remove shake, jello, etc?

Next time you find yourself fighting wind to get home, switch to ATTI - your top speed doubles and should have no problem moving upwind in a 20 knot breeze. Also, if you are not already, get closer to the ground. Do not try to fight the wind 100 feet up - I've found it can be *quite* faster up there than near the surface. (not really relevant in this case since you were already low altitude but thought worth mentioning)

1. Aeroxcraft gimbal, works well but was a bit jittery in the wind. It needs to start up in dead calm air or it gets glitchy. I've crashed it and dunked it in the ocean, rinsed it off and no issues. Even though it looks delicate it keeps in ticking.
2. I ran the whole vid through Final Cut stabilization, a light rinse to get rid of yaw. I find all the 2D gimbals get yaw issues in the wind when using GPS. Atti helps a lot as the nose isn't fighting to keep its compass heading .

You are right about flying with atti, but the wind was so strong I needed the help, it was gusting to 30-40 km at the end and I could barely catch it in my hands, forget about a ground landing. However, for that bit of coast, that was a good day and it doesn't get much better than that. Too nerve wracking for another flight there.

25 mm rigid foam to give level take offs, they tip to follow uneven beaches or rocks, I nearly always hand catch so it's not about a soft landing, and provide clearance for the gimbal. Weighs about 20 gms with zip ties. They wouldn't keep it afloat in a wet landing though. I had a bigger set that did that with the poly boxed gopro. Naked gopro and gimbal is too much weight for that rig. So more caution near the ocean!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic