Scariest moment Ive ever had

Luck day for you.

They can come out of nowhere. Go to Kmart for some new chonies.

Where I live I'm surrounded by mountains, and you never know what's going to fly over. Today it was a crane helicopter, big mother.

A couple years ago my wife watched a big 747 or DC10 that was fire fighting fly so close it skimmed the trees on the mountain.

From the position depicted relative to the horizon and your claimed altitude the Heli is seemingly at 500ft or higher. That's probably not a fantastic place to be flying. I would have a look in AirMap over the next few days at various times and see what is typically around there.

That would be a pucker moment for sure ...

Last edited:
This is why SA is so important, and you lose pretty much all of it when you are flying BVLOS.

I've had a few "diaper moments" like this. Most recent was last September when I was flying my P3P over a county fair around 300 feet and suddenly this Piper Cub comes swooping in over the fair at about the same height. I did a 360 with my P3P to try and spot it on the iPad screen but I couldnt see it. I hit the panic mode and immediately dropped my drone down to 150 ft. and returned to home. Had to find a Porta-Potty to clean the mess in my undies.

Last week, issues with a guy flying a "home built" machine, luckily, you can hear him coming from miles away. First time I heard/saw him I thought it as a tractor with no muffler, I know he was lower than my Phantom, I was at 40 meters & as he flew by me, blocked view of my P3A.
Waving at him, he waves madly back, I could actually hear him yelling -Yahooooo!!
Found out who he is, lives about 3 farms from me, seeing as its raining, good day to drop in & say hello

Last week, issues with a guy flying a "home built" machine, luckily, you can hear him coming from miles away. First time I heard/saw him I thought it as a tractor with no muffler, I know he was lower than my Phantom, I was at 40 meters & as he flew by me, blocked view of my P3A.
Waving at him, he waves madly back, I could actually hear him yelling -Yahooooo!!
Found out who he is, lives about 3 farms from me, seeing as its raining, good day to drop in & say hello
You didn't take a pic of him and his machine ?.

I've had a few "diaper moments" like this. Most recent was last September when I was flying my P3P over a county fair around 300 feet and suddenly this Piper Cub comes swooping in over the fair at about the same height. I did a 360 with my P3P to try and spot it on the iPad screen but I couldnt see it. I hit the panic mode and immediately dropped my drone down to 150 ft. and returned to home. Had to find a Porta-Potty to clean the mess in my undies.

Did you have permission to be flying over the fair? If so, you should have been told about aircraft coming over. If not, what were you doing there?

Note in the CAA restictions, as well as staying at least 150 metres from congested areas or any organised, open-air assembly of more than 1,000 people, they say "This means that each flight will carry a ground ‘footprint’ below the aircraft, within which there should be no uninvolved members of the public."

Luck day for you.

They can come out of nowhere. Go to Kmart for some new chonies.

Where I live I'm surrounded by mountains, and you never know what's going to fly over. Today it was a crane helicopter, big mother.

A couple years ago my wife watched a big 747 or DC10 that was fire fighting fly so close it skimmed the trees on the mountain.
We have aerial fire fighting efforts shut down in our forests in CA and OR, because of personal drones. Please do not get near a fire.

We have aerial fire fighting efforts shut down in our forests in CA and OR, because of personal drones. Please do not get near a fire.

Not sure who you were speaking to or making a general statement, but either way, I'm in total agreement with you on staying clear of fire and firefighting crew so they can do there wonderful work the do for all!

I would also add that checking the TFR's ( Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's) is always a good part of mission planning. Sometimes you may think it is safe to return to an area where a fire was, but efforts to monitor and control possible hotspots often continue long after the smokes clears.

Reactions: trevornewkirk
I get constant flyovers of military eqt from the base 10 miles away. the runway even points in a different direction but they actually fly over my house much closer than your vid. I have flown over my house once and tried to stay as low as possible. Generally I can hear them coming a few seconds in advance but some of those A-7s (yes they still fly them) run pretty fast through here. I really do not understand the need to fly so low around here. Kind of makes me nervous of a collision with the police helicopter that likes to circle his girlfriends house every afternoon.

Not sure who you were speaking to or making a general statement, but either way, I'm in total agreement with you on staying clear of fire and firefighting crew so they can do there wonderful work the do for all!

I would also add that checking the TFR's ( Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's) is always a good part of mission planning. Sometimes you may think it is safe to return to an area where a fire was, but efforts to monitor and control possible hotspots often continue long after the smokes clears.
I apologize....wrote a post on the wrong comment and even though I thought it was deleted, it still showed up on yours. Again, sorry.

Reactions: Traveler

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1