Scared for my life... Physically

Reaction score
Today I had a scary moment... There I was practising lowering my drone near buildings where I live... Makes perfect sense....if I lose control it's local to where I am so I can pick it up.... Good idea right?... Well...... I done that and two women approached me... One had a really bad attitude... I thought she was going to punch me... Bear in mind I am a 36 year old guy.... But I have sclerosis (part of multi sclerosis, weak bones, arthritis, damaged spine and a metal plate in my hip and leg) what chances do I have with two furious women ??? I was mature and apologies ever so much....test...she was giving attitude.... They eventually walked off.... I agree that I hovered way to low to where they are.... Their argument is that I was invading their privacy... I agree 100% ....... But it scared me...they had no idea of my illness, they had no idea that my intention was pure skill related to see how near I can get to a building ..... It was the only thing I was practising... Better to crash and recover your phantom local then somewhere you don't know right? Inside I was fuming when I got home... "Who the hell do they think they are that can tell me they OWN THE SKY" .......if they came up to me politely and explained it would be fine.... But to come up to me with aggression..... Not called for... It eats me up.... I feel I should fly over and hover above them... Just to say F**K YOU for coming up to a disabled person and giving attitude thinking you know best... But at the same time.... Emotionally and mentally.... It's killing me... Knowing I should have stuck up for myself.... I don't want to cause trouble in my own area...but at the same time... I do t want them to think they won over treating behaviour.... The mature feeling inside me says that I walked away calm... And they walked away being the bullying ba**ard ..... But.... Part of me think I should have stuck up for myself.... I have been bullied so many times by women and left a job, and a relationship because of it.... I can't say how much tears I am in right now writing this.... But here is the only safe place I feel. Did I do the right thing? Should I fight back and show them they can't bully me and fly over their place out of principle, let it go thinking they won and have to travel else where to fly? I really dont know what to do.. I really need advice xxxx

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: David in oz
You admitted you were wrong in flying so close to them. They had no idea of your disabilities and that should not be a factor anyway. You have to expect a lot of negative attitude from the general public and avoid situations that would put you in a defensive situation. Sounds like you have emotional baggage. Just pick a more appropriate place to fly and avoid confrontations, in the long run it does not pay to be confrontational unless someone threatens your physical well being.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You did the right thing @Neon Euc. You were mature, admitted your mistake, and apologized for your error. The winner in this situation is you my friend. We are all human and make mistakes. That is life. Some think that bullying someone makes them superior to others, when it is really just the opposite. It shows their immaturity.

Follow WWK888's advice, and find a different flight area to practice in. Let them think they won the confrontation. But you and I (and many others on this Forum) know that those two women were acting out of immaturity and could not accept your sincere apology for some reason.

Don't let this incident bother you. Keep flying. Just in a different place.

Wow.. thank you ever so much WWK88 and CAPTAINMILEHIGH..... I knew I was wrong and will happily move to another area to fly.... In regard to WWK88.... I admit... I have some issues in life and this really added to it.... And thank you CAPTAINMILEHIGH as deep down that's what I really wanted and needed to hear. I apologise for this post as it's a mix of emotionally and mentally support rather then 100% drone flying.... But you both played a massive part in future as my next step was to retaliate or not. CAPTAINMILEHIGH put it all in to perspective... She may have had someone there to out number me.... But... I am greatful and thankful I have your advice to help me control my reaction xx

I have had only one negative experience flying. The person was possible mentally unstable and at first I thought he was just joking but the more he talked the more I realized he was angry. I was in a public area and breaking no laws. I tried to explain what I was doing but I realized there was no way of dealing with this guy. At one point he looked like he was going to try grab my drone. It was at this point I informed him that would not be a wise decision. He said he was calling the police and I encouraged him to do so. I waited for awhile but they did not show up so I left but later called dispatch. I am retired from that particular department so I wanted to make sure they had all the facts. They told me the beatman eventually spoke to the guy and determined he was nuts. Ever since that experience I have always looked for places to launch from out of site from the general public.

Reactions: iAm and Neon Euc
That's very good advice WWK88.... and something I will always make sure I will do in future. It was my fault 100% as I was lowering my drone between buildings... I couldn't tell if it was people or chairs as the picture was pixilated but I thought "what the hell.... They might enjoy it" I was wrong.... Still angers me that they didn't come up to me and say "can you not fly your drone there please as it's a privacy matter" .... But at the same time... I can understand their attitude and to be fair.... When I did apologise they walked off... But when I went to the pub to calm myself with a picture t they walked past mouthing off.... Not directly to me... But about me... So even though I apologise.... They still felt the need to carry on.... Just shook me up... Plus I didn't mention that as they were mouthing me off in the park... A group of about 15 youths started to group together... Not near them I admit.... But in the background... Had no idea if it was for me or not... So I made an exit.. . But I thought "what if they had a bloke, what if they punch me, would I just be a coward and do nothing..... Probably yes.... I can take pain... Believe me... I had no idea I broke my lower spine and leg and hip....and still carries on snowboarding.... But ... The fact I just got physically, mentally and emotionally scared . .. I'm ashamed and that's what made me apologise....yes I was in the wrong.... But also.... I should have stuck up for myself and told them to not speak to me like that... I mean... What if someone talked to my daughter like that? Will I stick up for her and or be a coward and ignore it? It seems deep I know... But this is a hobby I want for life.... And I'm learning new things all the time.... Just a bad time I know.... It could've gone better... But I know deep down... It could have got a lot worse. And that's why I thank you and CAPTAINMILEHIGH for the advice.... It points me in the right direction to enjoy this wonderful hobby for life xx

Reactions: psanders83
When I decided to get into the hobby only a few months ago I only had a vague idea of this whole other aspect to it ... that is the privacy / annoyance concerns of flying these birds in public. I just had my first real negative experience with that. I was flying over my yard a couple days ago and my neighbor's basement dwelling gruff adult aged kid yelled out - PUT IT AWAY! Perhaps I shouldn't have been flying at 7:45 on Sunday morning. :) Lesson learned.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Lol it's really hard to think about other people's privacy when you have a new toy :) to me it was all about practising flying as bear to a building as possible... Didn't think for one second about other people's privacy lol lesson learned... My face wasn't punched in and my drone didn't get damaged.. lesson learned for sure... In a good way.. now I am always thinking about other people. Don't want them to smash my drone lol

Reactions: TonkaMayhem
This is one reason I like to fly on wide open land with no others around. For practice I like to go to a nearby section of DEC land... I am usually the only person there with the exception of a hiker or two once in a while.

Just ignore the mis-informed. You will never change their ignorant, closed minds anyways. If it gets out of control ask for assistance from LE. With all the media hype people get it stuck in their heads that all drones are operated by perverts looking to invade their privacy. I am not sure why so many people think that anyone cares what they are doing and that I would go spend 1000+ just so I can see them.

Forget about them and be safe flying! :)

This is one reason I like to fly on wide open land with no others around. For practice I like to go to a nearby section of DEC land... I am usually the only person there with the exception of a hiker or two once in a while.

Just ignore the mis-informed. You will never change their ignorant, closed minds anyways. If it gets out of control ask for assistance from LE. With all the media hype people get it stuck in their heads that all drones are operated by perverts looking to invade their privacy. I am not sure why so many people think that anyone cares what they are doing and that I would go spend 1000+ just so I can see them.

Forget about them and be safe flying! :)
Well said :) really made my day with all the support and I agree with what you said... Esp about spending a lot of money to "film other people" not my thing.... I prefer to film from the sky like we all do and see the world in a different perspective :)

Neon, where abouts are you? You might be able to find a few other flyers who are looking for a good excuse to get the drones out nearby and could fly as a group. In addition to the upside of having folks interested in the same thing around, you're less of a target for the deranged public when there are a few of you. When I'm out shooting with the drone or my dslr I always prefer to be shooting with someone.

Neon, where abouts are you? You might be able to find a few other flyers who are looking for a good excuse to get the drones out nearby and could fly as a group. In addition to the upside of having folks interested in the same thing around, you're less of a target for the deranged public when there are a few of you. When I'm out shooting with the drone or my dslr I always prefer to be shooting with someone.
Hiya I'm based in London, England. I would love to meet up with fellow fliers as it will be so nice to hook up with people with the same interest and it would Def be safer in a group :) are you based in London by any chance ?

I have to comment for the "baggage" u have if for no other reason than to empower you. U took care of urself by NOT provoking a potential physical altercation. So that's to be admired, and when you see it that way feeling like a wimp for "not standing up for urself" becomes a moot point. Taking care of yourself empowered you! You don't need to give that power away to anyone. Ever. Kudos to you.

Sent from my PT beating heart

I have to comment for the "baggage" u have if for no other reason than to empower you. U took care of urself by NOT provoking a potential physical altercation. So that's to be admired, and when you see it that way feeling like a wimp for "not standing up for urself" becomes a moot point. Taking care of yourself empowered you! You don't need to give that power away to anyone. Ever. Kudos to you.

Sent from my PT beating heart
Thank you so much jryser as that does make me feel a lot better. :) I'm still going to fly the phantom as normal.. only now will be ever more cautious and thoughtful about where I fly it :)

Hey Neon Euc!

I'm in South London, on the outskirts of Surrey. I'm the only one I've seen around here flying.
Ever in the area let me know, most people around here seem pretty cool about it, and more interested then annoyed.

Till then, keep it safe. That's coming from someone who has had to deal with their own personal baggage in the past. All sorted now, never felt better.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jryser and Neon Euc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav