Say goodbye to our nice, clean 5.8 GHz band

Its never been nice and clean. Wifi routers have been using it for years.... That being said this will have little effect on people flying outside of large metropolitan areas.

5 GHz Wifi signals have little penetration outside of houses and occupies only a small section of the 5.8 GHz ISM band. But yes, this will only be an issue in urban situations... which are precisely the areas where 2.4 is most crowded and 5.8 most needed. But not much to be done about it, just noting.

A lot of people only fly their drones in non urban areas because of wifi router interference. Im one of them, not so much a problem for me with the P4P but my P3S suffers terribly in urban areas. That said, our UK drone safe rules say you are not supposed to fly within 150 metres of a built up area. If I want urban shots, I pick a park close to an urban area and get my shots from there. Pretty much nobody has complained about me flying in these areas, yet if I fly from a street or very close to an urban area I do get comments, sometimes not serious but the comments remind you of just how anti drone our society has become, regardless of the fact that most people have never encountered one in real life.

I have no idea why it raises such a passionate response in the public and why they think drone pilots are obviously doing something nefarious. I was approached once in greenwich park by a security guard who came running over to tell me I was not allowed to fly there, I said to him, oh I thought someone had been murdered by the way you came running over. reactions now are bordering on hysterical.

5 GHz Wifi signals have little penetration outside of houses and occupies only a small section of the 5.8 GHz ISM band. But yes, this will only be an issue in urban situations... which are precisely the areas where 2.4 is most crowded and 5.8 most needed. But not much to be done about it, just noting.
somehow I get the feeling t-mobile will not be putting the antennas indoors and at low wattage. cell towers are everywhere including out in the burbs.
I bet it is a government thing to be able to bleed out the spectrum at the push of a switch. Basically a jammer in plain sight. Probably even broadcasts the shutdown code the little drone gun uses.

Reactions: DanMan32
The 5.8 T-mobile would be using would be outside.
Which, going off topic a bit, would cause more cell phone reception problems indoors, which T-mobile already has an issue with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic