Saw a Typhoon H fly on 5 motors

Reaction score
Doing my damnedest to find the link again, but it was able to fly on 5 motors after a malfunction. Sure wasn't pretty though. The pilot lowered the gear and hand caught it. Maybe someone else on the DJI Facebook group can help me find the link.

J

The motors are already going out on them??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you watch it?
He indicates he struck a tree branch.

Curious if it shut down due to over-current (may reset?) or something failed as a result.

It's suppose to have an obstacle avoidance system on it. Shouldn't have struck the tree.

One thing to consider, he blamed it on high winds. Look at the trees, they aren't even moving. If he calls that high winds, he'd soil himself on a Texas Panhandle afternoon.

It's suppose to have an obstacle avoidance system on it. Shouldn't have struck the tree.

A tree might not be an adequate target?

It occurred too fast for the system to react?

Other parameters exceeded?

Poor form to rely on such new or immature tech.

It said the branch blew into the quad. He didn't fly into the tree or branch. The branch kind of reached out and smacked the rear prop, opposite of the avoidance sensors.

I've seen other hex's lose a motor or prop and do the rotation thing but all those I've seen rotate much slower than that typhoon did.

The point is, six motor crafts don't necessarily crash when you lose a motor or prop. I first heard of this when it was revealed on one of the "Ted Talks" shows

It seemed pretty out of control after losing one motor. Granted ours would crash to the ground but I expected it to react better with how much yuneec has been hyping it up....

Hell, I think staying somewhat controllable and being able to hand catch it with a motor out is pretty **** good. Seems its being held to a higher standard. "Granted, ours would crash" kinda sums it up, doesn't it. I, for one, wish the Phantom could survive loosing a motor/prop.

Ya but that only applies when it's like 100 feet away...how often are we flying in the 100 foot range? Most of us fly further then we can see it so that feature wouldn't help us much..

Again, I think most people tend to lose props when they hit something. If you are close enough to something to hit it, and you are beyond VLOS, then yeah, your drone is gonna crash. But again, to say that you don't want a feature because it does not save your bacon in every possible scenario is, in my opinion, short sighted. I guess we should not have autoland when the battery runs out cause it might land somewhere inconvenient, like in the drink or in a tree. Lets just let it fly till it runs out of juice and crash where it may. /Sarcasm off

The point is, six motor crafts don't necessarily crash when you lose a motor or prop. I first heard of this when it was revealed on one of the "Ted Talks" shows
The hexacopter design is a selling point over a quad due to the ability to lose a motor/prop and still make it down better than brick.

I may have seen that same Ted you did. They had a one propeller contraption that could fly, so with that same technology, I would love to see a Phantom come down relatively undamaged with one motor/prop gone.

Again, I think most people tend to lose props when they hit something. If you are close enough to something to hit it, and you are beyond VLOS, then yeah, your drone is gonna crash. But again, to say that you don't want a feature because it does not save your bacon in every possible scenario is, in my opinion, short sighted. I guess we should not have autoland when the battery runs out cause it might land somewhere inconvenient, like in the drink or in a tree. Lets just let it fly till it runs out of juice and crash where it may. /Sarcasm off
Auto land is not quite the same thing...that will save the craft at any distance not just right in front of you. Not saying it's a bad concept just not that impressed after watching the video...

And why does the 5 motor trick only work right in front of you? The bird was still flyable and controllable, responding to all stick inputs. The shifting video definitely lets you know you have a problem, but he was still able to control it and bring it in for a hand catch. No reason it could not have been flown a mile like that rather than a few yards.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl