Sand in my pants.. or?!?!

Reaction score
  • Ok fellas! Getting no love in the help section. I joined the group yesterday I didn't want to join. I was at the lake filming my friends and family skim boarding behind a winch. I was bringing in the phantom for a hand catch when my cousins dog came running and jumped and grabbed the landing gear pulling it to the ground (from 8 feet I might add!! lol). As it was coming down it flipped and landed in the sand upside down. I tried to initiate a CSC as it was happening, but when i picked the bird up 3 of the 4 props powered back up and I powered down with the left stick. I started blowing out the sand around the motors, and the stuck prop was able to be spun by hand. I blew till they all seemed smooth and powered it back up, let it idle for a few seconds and shut it down. I also had to blow out the gamble as it was sticking. I got it to where everything seemed to function properly so I threw a new battery in and took off. I kept it low and slow checking all controls and stability. Everything seemed fine and actually ended up flying the whole battery. What do I need to worry about? I was going to give everything a good blow with some computer spray and do a IMU calibration, and gimbal calibration. I also took this as my time to join and load some logs to healthy drone.com everything seemed ok as far as sensors from flights before and after. Only issue I noticed was some battery voltage deviations, which were from logs before the issue as well, guess that will be another post. Thoughts, opinions, public lashings.... Im ready!

Have your cousin leash the dog next time you launch or land in their presence. Sounds like you are pretty lucky. I'd think any damage would be immediate, so since you were able to fly after, I think you'e ok.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Milehigh970
Have your cousin leash the dog next time you launch or land in their presence. Sounds like you are pretty lucky. I'd think any damage would be immediate, so since you were able to fly after, I think you'e ok.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, he normally does hold on to her when I'm taking off and landing. Everyone was about 100-125 yards down the beach from where I was at. I was paying more attention to bringing the bird in where I wanted it. Completely my fault for not announcing my intention to land like I normally do. Thought I could sneak in before she noticed lol

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Don't blow air into phantom. Use gravity and turn phantom upside down first, then rotate the props with fingers. Use an air gun and get the remaining sand out. I know small rocks lodged in the motors may cause the motors to fail.

Reactions: Milehigh970
Yeah, dogs are great, eh? ;-)

image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

Yup, I am pretty sure the dog really did not mean to do that, well, in either case the P3 or the wall.

lol

Was a door, now a window... ;-)

Yup, loved all my k9 pals...

RedHotPoker

Awesome story - what breed of Dog was it? Much as I love my P3 I am even more of a dog lover - they are better than most people!!!

I am too! And that's why the story didn't include me beating my cousin or his dog.. Lol I take sole responsibility of the incident. It's a border collie.. So she is extremely smart and even more agile!!

I am too! And that's why the story didn't include me beating my cousin or his dog.. Lol I take sole responsibility of the incident. It's a border collie.. So she is extremely smart and even more agile!!
The best breed , I have 2 of them . Absolutely love them!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj