San Diego Count Parks - No Fly

Reaction score
I was told by a ranger today that there is no flying in SD county parks. Anyone else hear this?

What park were you at? I have scoured the SD County parks website and see nothing even addressing model aircraft operation in the parks, so in my opinion there is no policy. I fly 4S Community park and have never had a problem, but I fly pretty high usually (250-400' AGL), so they probably don't even know I am there.

Reactions: Great Pumpkin
Meack said:
I was told by a ranger today that there is no flying in SD county parks. Anyone else hear this?
Ask for the ordinance number so that you may research it.

I fly in several parks in San Diego and have never heard such a thing! Would sure love to know the truth though... don't want a drone ticket or worse!

spudraleigh said:
I fly in several parks in San Diego and have never heard such a thing! Would sure love to know the truth though... don't want a drone ticket or worse!

It's in the link that was posted.

"SEC. 41.130. WALKWAYS, BICYCLES AND MOTORIZED TOYS.
No person shall engage in any of the following conduct in a County park:
(a) Obstruct the free travel of pedestrians on any trail, walkway or roadway.
(b) Ride or use a bicycle, non-motorized scooter, skateboard, inline skates or other similar wheeled device except in areas designated for its use.
(c) Use or operate any motorized model plane, model boat or model vehicle except in an area specifically designated by the Parks Department for that use."

Meack said:

Were you flying when he told you this? Please share the context of the conversation.

I have a Phantom 2 + V3.
I walked into the park and up to the upper meadow with nobody around. There I flew for one battery charge and walked down and out the other side. I planned to fly again withing site of the ranger station. A young male ranger was outside so I stopped and asked him if there was any policy regarding flying drones. He went inside to ask his boss and returned shortly with the news that drones were not allowed. I thanked him and left the park.

Thanks. And welcome to the forum!

FWIW both Orange County and LA County have similar bans on motorized model aircraft in county parks except where specifically authorized. Many cities have similar bans. As was apparent in this case, they make it hard to find the laws as well. All of these bans long pre-date Phantoms and have been in place for years, if not decades.

People have been playing with motorized rc toys in these parks for years without issue despite the same rules being on the books. It is all of a sudden now that they are being enforced. That selective enforcement of dormant rules show not be allowed. If there is a rule, it needs to be rigoursly enforced or it should be removed. That is like having rules that bans walking but the cops only ticket you if they don't like the way you look.

kevintaylor said:
You could take an Amtrak train from San Diego to Los Angeles, change trains and take an Amtrak train to Merced.Another option is Greyhound bus, from San Diego to Los Angeles then change buses in Los Angeles and take a bus to Merced.

It's also possible to fly to Merced now, from either Los Angeles or Las Vegas, on Great Lakes Airlines. From San Diego it would require a short flight from San Diego to Los Angeles, but that flight is much more expensive now than it used to be. The Merced airport has the designation MCE.You might want to break it up into 2 days, staying overnight at Fresno or somewhere in that area. In December, you will want to try to time your driving so that you are driving through the central valley (Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno etc.) in the afternoon hours if possible. In the nights and mornings in the central valley, you may encounter the infamous Tule Fog, which makes driving much slower and more difficult.

Thanks

metro trip planner los angeles

WTF?

macheung said:
People have been playing with motorized rc toys in these parks for years without issue despite the same rules being on the books. It is all of a sudden now that they are being enforced. That selective enforcement of dormant rules show not be allowed. If there is a rule, it needs to be rigoursly enforced or it should be removed. That is like having rules that bans walking but the cops only ticket you if they don't like the way you look.

I have been run out of parks in OC flying gliders (no props & quiet) as far back as 1994. So at least up here, it is nothing new.

I know this is an older thread, but can't find much info elsewhere. Just passed the part 107 exam for flying a P4P for work to collect aerial photos for mapping. I have been looking for places to take it when I am off work to fly it for fun and practice, but couldn't find much info on rules or ordinances. I am not the type to just go and "see what happens" when I fly at various locations. Obviously I am checking weather, airspace, and hazards wherever I plan to fly, but what about the land managers in the area (city/county/etc)? Are there any public places in San Diego where I can fly legally without worry of being run off by land owners/managers?

Thanks in advance!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1