Samsung Tab A - Tips, Tricks?

Reaction score
I decided to snag an Android tablet to use with my quad instead of using my iPhone 6s Plus. Runs great on the phone, but it would be nice to save my battery life and have more screen real estate.

I didn't want to spend a ton so I snagged a Galaxy Tab A from Best Buy on sale for $150 and so far it seems great! Minimal lag from what I can tell if I only have the Go App running, and it looks pretty snazzy too. Purchased Litchi for Android last night (have it for iOS), and can't wait to try a test run later today. The interface looks killer compared to iOS!

Any Tab A Users have good experience with the Tablet? I saw a thread that referenced prepping for flight by running a Task Killer, but being an iOS user this is unfamiliar to me. When Googling if it was a good idea, the majority of answers were negative towards those apps. Have you guys used them? Any info you guys can give?

Oh and before you sa it, Nvidia Shield K1, and Samsung Galaxy S2. The former wasn't available at my Best Buy (Have to buy there, long story), and the latter is just too expensive for a drone monitor IMO. As an Apple guy I feel weird spending that much and not getting an iPad Mini. I ruled out iPad because I want GPS but don't want to pay for monthly cellular service. So yeah, there's that ;)

I'd love to hear from other Tab A users and get your experiences and tips! Thanks!

You don't need to get a cellular pay service to get GPS working on your Ipad Mini.
I'm agree with you that Apple device are really big $$$$.

There is probably some tips and setting you can do on the TAB A to get some more power, but it's not as powerful as a Tab S. The difference is in the RAM et PROCESSOR.

A easy tip is to install just the minimum app you need on the Android device.
Forget about FaceBook Messenger, email stuff etc etc !

You don't need to get a cellular pay service to get GPS working on your Ipad Mini.
First, Thank you.

Second, Really? Everything I found online said that was the only way. Actually that's untrue on my part as I guess technically I could buy a Wifi + LTE device and not activate service. The issue there is that there would be no contract so I would be paying full price for the tablet. Mucho $$

A easy tip is to install just the minimum app you need on the Android device.
Forget about FaceBook Messenger, email stuff etc etc

So just having the apps on my device will slow down the tablet even if I kill all processes?

I just bought a brand new Ipad Mini 4 for a friend of mine, 934$(CND) and it works perfectly with GPS.
What you have to do. Before leaving you house, using your WIFI just go in the DJI GO app and find the place your gonna flight, scroll around (and pinch zoom) to cache the map in the app.
So when you arrive at the spot you flight, the map will be available even if you don't have any WIFI or LTE service. The GPS will work perfectly.

As the same example, when you fly with a Smartphone (IOS or Android), you can put the Phone in Airplane Mode, the GPS will still work perfeclty, so no SMS or call will offset your flight :)

I used the tab A both the 8 and the 10 inch version and they are very poor in outdoor light. I got the S2 and it is incomparably better. The tab A could not even play the 2.7k video from the microSD card while the S2 plays it perfectly with the MX Player in HW+ mode (same for 4k gopro videos).

The bigger benefit for you will be that once you try the S2 you will ditch your iOS devices for good.

I guess technically I could buy a Wifi + LTE device and not activate service. The issue there is that there would be no contract so I would be paying full price for the tablet. Mucho $$
True. Apple products hold their value well, so you will get a lot of that money back if you ever decide to sell it.

You should also consider if you really even need GPS. I'm betting that many of those who have GPS enabled devices rarely use the features that require GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.