Samsung Galaxy 3 Lite drops out of Camera Mode - SOLVED

Reaction score
I thought I would post the solution here:
What I thought was the fault of the Samsung tablet was not. The problem was so intermittent that when I switched devices (iPhone, another Samsung Tab) I thought the problem went away but I later learned that it did not.

It seems I had an intermittent connection to the camera. Even though the plug was pushed in all the way it must have been a dirty connection. I took the advice of a friend and cleaned the plug with alcohol. While it was still wet I pushed it in and out of the camera a few times. I have made 4 flights and it works perfectly. In my last post I said I was buying the RE700 repeater. I did, but these tests were with the RE500. I didn't want to introduce another variable. I then switched to the RE700. The same flight path that lost connection at 200 ft altitude and 750 ft distance went to 1500 ft distance before I hit my distance limit and turned it around. For me, well worth the upgrade.

Moral of the Story:
When something goes bad after you make a change - don't assume it's the change!!

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab Lite 7" to use exclusively with my P2V.
Model SM-T110 Android Version: 4.2.2
Wifi Only (no cellular data)
816 MB RAM 8GB Storage

It works with the DJI app but keeps dropping out of Camera mode and back to the screen where you select Camera: Settings: Album: News:

It does not lose wifi connection. If I press the Camera icon it goes right back - but drops out again, usually after about 10-15 sec. I am running no other apps in the background and there are no other wifi connections available for it to possibly jump to.

I followed the installation instructions for the app from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4822&start=23
The same DJI app works great on my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10".

I tried resetting to factory default and reinstalling app but no luck. I also tried the "UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android" with the same results.

Since I do not have a P2V+, I checked the DJI Assistant to make sure I had the correct (older) transmitter selected.

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

(Is this the best place to post this?)

Re: Samsung Galaxy 3 Lite drops out of Camera Mode

Have you disabled "data"

Sorry, should have mentioned that this tablet is wifi only - no cellular data. I added it to my description. Thanks

I am not losing wifi. But I will try anything. I will report back.

Boy, GaryDZ, sounds like we copied each other... my exact problem with my Samsung TAB 3 Lite. This fixed it for me... I have to idea why I decided to do this but I went to the App Mgr on the tablet... turned off every app and/or uninstalled all the ones that I could, hit the factory reset choice on any app that asked for it when I turned it off...
I only left DJI Vision App, Google Map and Gmail on the tablet to be running. Just removing the apps was what I did, I do not know which one was causing the problem but I got rid of all that I could. The only difference between me and you is that I do not own a 10" tablet. I also run the tablet in the Airplane Mode with the Wi-FI turned on.

My Samsung Tab3 was lucky, I was ready to give it the .357magnum virus.

The FPV camera screen now stays on and everything works just like before. DAC, Phantom 2 V+ driver

Well, I tried everything that was suggested. I even tried the unofficial DJI App. Maybe better luck with the "official" app but since it is random - who knows. It is definitely the tablet so it probably does not matter which app I run.

These are some of the things I tried:
- (Reminder - wifi device only, no cellular data)
- reset to factory default
- no other apps on device except for the ones I can't delete. All those turned off.
- no email account
- after loading "Find My Phantom" and GS maps I "forgot" my home network
- tried manually connecting to the Phantom
- (Reminder - both official & unofficial apps work great on my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10" wifi)

Seemed to not drop out of Camera mode for a while so I tried waypoints. During waypoints, even though I maintained camera view I kept losing telemetry so app was showing 0% battery and 0 satellites and asked me if I wanted to fly home. I turned off waypoints and got more Camera mode dropouts. Again, probably nothing to do with waypoints - just random.

Other people seem to using this same exact tablet with no problem. Could mine be somehow defective? Unless there is a definite fix, I am about to give up and see if I can return it.
------------------------------
Another flight, this time with my iPhone 4s, and all worked perfectly.

eyecon82 said:
Is it only the tablet?

??? Is what only the tablet?

No issues on my Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10" wifi and my iPhone 4s.

There is also an android app called WiFi prioritizer, you can set the preferred networks to connect to. that works well. it won't jump back to your home WiFi or any other WiFi around you.

Thanks. I will try that.

Well, I did more test flights today. It seems I was wrong. My Samsung Galaxy 3 Tab 10" also dropped out of camera mode. It only did it twice at the start of a 15 min. flight, but the fact that it did it at all changes everything. I have decided to upgrade the wifi extender to the RE700. I was thinking of doing it anyway to gain more distance. If that doesn't solve the problem and both android devices are problematic, I will sadly go back to my little iPhone 4s. (I really don't want to do that because I am hooked on ilovecoffe's Unofficial Vision App for Android.) If the 10" works flawlessly with the RE700, I will return the Galaxy 3 Lite 7" and get the "non Lite" version.

UPDATE: Turned everything on, got a connection with the android app but the camera image was black. Tried the iPhone - black also. I cycled the switch on the camera, reseated the plug, reset the wifi extender and did the camera binding over. Camera is working again. I am convinced I have a intermittent camera unit or wifi extender. Waiting for the RE700 to arrive on Wednesday.

I edited my opening post to include the solution to the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20