samsung 64gigabyte micro sd card

Reaction score
i used to have a 16gig sd card in my camera and i noticed i was getting a lot of errors during my video playback, so i came across a samsung 64gig card with the same specs as my sandisk. i went out today and flew three batteries and from take off to landing i recorded the entire time so naturally i should have three videos on my card, but when i connected it to my computer there were actually six videos this is bogglling my mind as to why there are six not three, also with the card my recording time is greater than 99mins 59secs and didnt drop below that. so if anyone can help me figure out as to why my three vids were turned into three that would be great...thanks

recording in 4k ? video will be split at 4 gb about 14 mins. if set to 2.7k , one 4 gb and one smaller video file per battery

Last edited:
recording in 4k ? video will be split at 4 gb about 14 mins. if set to 2.7k , one 4 gb and one smaller video file per battery
oh ok, guess that makes sense, is there a reason that its done that way not that it matters i guess, what im also wondering is whats up with my recording time even after three batteries my recording time was till at 99mins and 59seconds

it's what DJI built into the Phantoms , don't know why myself , for one full length recording record at 1080p , I don't know why your recording time stays the same --- maybe not reading the card right ? maybe a formatting will solve it .

abb4dea92367f0c2200973a399639505.jpg

This is the card that I'm using now I had to format the card while in the drone through the go app in order for it to recognize

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

4 gig also happens to be the maximum file size for fat32. If DJI is using that for the SD cards (I've not checked), that would cause it.

I reformatted to EXfat and I got a couple hundred more MB out of it but the weather is starting to get bad so I'll have to wait to test it out but with the recording timer I think that's as high as it goes but thinking of getting this sd card
2f33298e46d8be549a62e69b1e5857bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Gimbal formats as ExFat which doesn't have an appreciable file size limit but it appears DJI keeps the files at 4gb.
I've been recording at 1080p on a P3A and sometimes the recording is split. It all depends on the compression it decides to apply. I haven't figured out what makes it determine the compression/bit rate. I suspect it is continuously variable and Windows (or file header) reports the average bit rate.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's a good deal for that card. I've found you can often find bargains if you keep watch.
I got 64gb SanDisk ultra plus for $18 online on Walmart. With ship to store, shipping was free but did pay tax. Cost me some gas though as I went to the wrong store.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

4 gig also happens to be the maximum file size for fat32. If DJI is using that for the SD cards (I've not checked), that would cause it.

I read, I think in the manual, that 32gb and lower cards can be fat32, but greater than 32gb cards must be exFat. This probably means that it creates 4gb or less files by default, regardless of the card used, just to keep things simple and cover all bases.

On my P3P at 4K/30fps a single file of max size works out to a little over nine minutes of footage, so unless you're miles away from a computer to download to (or you have a lot of batteries :openmouth:) chances are you won't fill a 64gb card in a single outing. Though it's never a bad idea to stick a couple of spare cards in your bag and possibly even rotate through them so you don't end up losing all your footage in the event of a crash or something.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj