Same frequency??

Reaction score
Just wondering... I was out at the Wedge, filming the huge waves that are rolling in... I see eight, yes 8, other Phantoms in the sky over the waves... What are the odds that someone else can control my drone? I have the same thought when I am out in Glamis Sand Dunes, also... Is it something someone can change, on their controller, to take control of my drone?

The odds are precisely zero. Your transmitter and Phsntom are "paired" together. No other transmitter can control your Phantom.

Can I see your video of The Wedge somewhere online?

Have you been filming surfing (or in this case, probably bodyboarding/bodysurfing) for long? Any tips on how to setup and "follow" the surfer and what angles?

And, I suppose you don't sell the videos?

Re: R: Same frequency??

HarryT said:
The odds are precisely zero. Your transmitter and Phsntom are "paired" together. No other transmitter can control your Phantom.
So.... why i have seen a video where a dji guy say that a flyaway can be caused by a strong radio interference that tell the phantom to go straight in a random direction...

If the radio comunication between the phantom and the controller if encoded, i think that this will never happen... so... why?

I ask to all because i'm new and i want to learn to fly my phantom as safe as it is possible... ;)

(Maybe later i will post the link to the video... now i'm writing from my phone)

Certainly very strong electromagnet fields could cause problems with the flight controller, and you should avoid flying in the vicinity of power lines, phone masts, etc, but that's a very different thing from someone else's transmitter "controlling" your Phantom.

You can "swamp" a receiver, so it cannot separate your transmitter signal from interference, but this is not the same as someone controlling your drone from their TX.

It tends to happen if you fly near a high power radio mast - which does not even need to be on 2.4GHz. The signal is so strong it overwhelms the radio receiver and random signals can be sent out from the decoder.

GPS can also be "jammed" in the same way. Remember that American drone the Iranians intercepted and landed? The chances are they used this precise method using an airborne jamming and high power radio system to take over some control of the drone.

noiseboy72 said:
You can "swamp" a receiver, so it cannot separate your transmitter signal from interference, but this is not the same as someone controlling your drone from their TX.

And that is, I personally believe, the primary cause of fly-aways in this case: someone takes off without GPS lock, interference blocks their control signal (especially likely to happen with a P2V or V+, due to its 5.8GHz control signal, which is VERY easily blocked), and the Phantom goes into RTH mode, and heads off into the wide blue yonder because they don't have a home lock.

ie pilot error.

Ok... i understand what you are saying. What i do not understand is why the guy of the DJI is saying that "something sending a radio signal on a similar frequency to your transmitter but much stronger" can tell the phantom to go straight into a random direction. The guy also say that they have put (what i call) a sort of "human pilot behavior check" to prevent this situation.

I'm just trying to understand... maybe the guy say that in that way beacuse they think the explanation of noiseboy72 (wich, by now, i think is the more plausible) is too much technical?

@HarryT: I heared that the 5.8GHz frequency is a more interference-free fequency. And i also heared that this frequency is more easily blocked by phisical obstacles (like a tree, a wall, etc.). Am i right?

Thanks again to all... i'm just learning a whole new world... :D

FreeFlyer said:
@HarryT: I heared that the 5.8GHz frequency is a more interference-free fequency. And i also heared that this frequency is more easily blocked by phisical obstacles (like a tree, a wall, etc.). Am i right?

The higher the frequency, the shorter the range, and the more easily blocked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20