Salt water damage

Reaction score
My P3P landed in the sea (and was in it for about half an hour). It’s been rinsed, dried and cleaned with isopropanol before being restarted (obviously not with the battery that took a dunk). It starts, the gimbal runs through the motions (but not in a smooth way) but it will not connect to the RC.

So to my surprise it’s not completely dead but there are obviously several things wrong with it. I am a little undecided about what to do next (I have another P3P so that’s not an issue): shall I spend money on it and try to fix it or is it too risky and probably a waste of money because it will never really be dependable and prone to developing problems due to contact with salt water?

Its not worth fiddling around with. You need peace of mind. At best its lifespan is greatly refuced even if you do get it running.

I got stuck in a river crossing, got towed out. Truck drove fine. Spoke to my insurer about getting the door and front quarter panel resprayed (some scratches only, nothing structural). The truck was new and the quote was less than 2 grand. They wrote it off and gave me a new truck explaining that their maps suggested there was some salt water in that river and statistically it was almost certain ongoing electrical problems would mean it would have future issues (wiring harnesses and computers).

Reactions: mikesmiley
Its not worth fiddling around with. You need peace of mind. At best its lifespan is greatly refuced even if you do get it running.

I got stuck in a river crossing, got towed out. Truck drove fine. Spoke to my insurer about getting the door and front quarter panel resprayed (some scratches only, nothing structural). The truck was new and the quote was less than 2 grand. They wrote it off and gave me a new truck explaining that their maps suggested there was some salt water in that river and statistically it was almost certain ongoing electrical problems would mean it would have future issues (wiring harnesses and computers).
they gave you a new car when there were no current problems with it? Even though there was the possibility of damage and problems in the future, I find that very surprising
then again, i am only 13 so I wouldn't know that much about car insurance :rolleyes:

they gave you a new car when there were no current problems with it? Even though there was the possibility of damage and problems in the future, I find that very surprising
then again, i am only 13 so I wouldn't know that much about car insurance :rolleyes:
I was surprised also. Insurance is based on risk. Cheaper to replace then to deal with future problems they reasonably expected to occur.

thats what i was thinking, but it still seems like having a risk of electrical issues in the future is cheaper for them than to replace the entire car

thats what i was thinking, but it still seems like having a risk of electrical issues in the future is cheaper for them than to replace the entire car
Yes, i thought the same. Seemingly salt water immersion is up there with the top enemies of electronic components. The insurance companies actions in my case certainly suggest it to be the case. My preference was to keep the vehicle (i had added quite a few accessories) however the assesor said it was in the guidlines. Salt water immersion above the sills renders the vehicle a write off. In my policy i had new for old replacement within 12 mths so i got a new one.

I was surprised also. Insurance is based on risk. Cheaper to replace then to deal with future problems they reasonably expected to occur.

That is a big odd. I get it tho - flooded vehicle. Probably falls within their guidelines. But if a new truck and they just paid $2k for new paint to the door and said there you go - any future electrical issues I would THINK be handled by your local dealer thus putting the cost on them. Good for your insurance company not shifting that cost onto someone else tho.

Downside is the truck went to some yard somewhere and someone else buys it under a salvage title and re-sells it for less than 1/2 the cost. It will still have same issues BUT being salvage title - dealer is exempt from warranty work.

The world we live in!!

Hell - if I crashed my explorer anything outside a fender bender they'd have to total it. $43k vehicle designed to absorb impact. Unibody frame. send me a new one! A whole new meaning to a "throw-a-way car" compared to those cheap cars a decade ago.

what else can you do? fly the hell out of it, if it crashes who cares, right? just make sure to fly in open fields only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1