Salt water crash...fix or buy all new?

Reaction score
Ver 1.1.1

Crashed in salt water. Underwater for about 15 seconds. Rinsed with fresh water. Once dry, spun it up and 1 motor worked and it found a GPS signal (while on the ground). Hooking it up to PC and everything else looked fine.

Un-sotered (sp?) the engines and looks like I have 3 bad ESC and 1 bad motor. Do I...

A. by three new ESC and 1 motor for ~ 80 bucks and hope that is all that is wrong?
B. swallow my pride and get a used one for ~300

Worry about A is not sure I can ever trust it again.

Is this a Phantom 1? I assume so because you say you can get a used one for $300.

I personally could not trust it again. I would never put a Gimbal, Camera, or item of >200 value on it after seeing the rapid damage salt water can do...

But why not wait a few days, test out the brains of the unit, and then decide if its worth fixing?

Reactions: 750r
Correct, Ver 1.1.1 Brains seem to be ok as I can run through software check on PC and outdoors on ground will do a GPS lock. Just 3 ESC won't power-up and 1 engine DOA. Heading off the classifieds I think.

Welcome to the forum .
I agree with above I would not put any extras on it ya just never know it seems good now give it time salt water causes corrosion . I would fix it and use it as a beater learn manual mode .
Run a thread in classifieds here and see if anyone that upgraded to a E300 kit has the stock stuff around .

Reactions: Fplvert
Ver 1.1.1

Crashed in salt water. Underwater for about 15 seconds. Rinsed with fresh water. Once dry, spun it up and 1 motor worked and it found a GPS signal (while on the ground). Hooking it up to PC and everything else looked fine.

Un-sotered (sp?) the engines and looks like I have 3 bad ESC and 1 bad motor. Do I...

A. by three new ESC and 1 motor for ~ 80 bucks and hope that is all that is wrong?
B. swallow my pride and get a used one for ~300

Worry about A is not sure I can ever trust it again.

It's toast.... get another one....

Reactions: B- Scene Films
Update for those who care, replaced 3 ESC and 1 motor and it is working like a charm.
We care we like hearing good :)
Now have fun be safe ;)

Navy ships get electronics flooded with salt water all the time. They rinse and clean, dry em out with flood lamps. Then they test and if all check out it's put back in service. Cleaning the saltwater off is no different than driving your car on the beach. A good cleaning and then keep on trucking.

Navy ships get electronics flooded with salt water all the time. They rinse and clean, dry em out with flood lamps. Then they test and if all check out it's put back in service. Cleaning the saltwater off is no different than driving your car on the beach. A good cleaning and then keep on trucking.

Yea, but doesn't salt water corrode stuff easy? Probably wrong, but that's what I always thought/heard.

Yes it does, but it's like getting grease on your hands, soap and water and it comes off. So will the salt water. It's only damaging if it stays on a dries and then begings its corrosive state. Cleaned off and it's gone. That's why you flush and clean and dry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.