Safest top speed?

Reaction score
I mean I hit around 35mph normally, no wind, tonight though, I was creeping up toward 50mph, got scared , switched to atti mode and slowly let off, (so it didn't hit the brakes so hard)

but I felt It would have hit about 60mph, how fast can this thing go before the computer cannot control its pitch/roll anymore?

Along those lines of the "brakes" what does everyone use as far as the adjustment setting? I'm not comfortable with how the bird tilts so abruptly sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Speed thrills!! I love the tilt of my Heli-Max Voltage 500 3D.
Watching Matt in this video, convinced me to buy mine. ;-)
Tilt means speed. Ha

RedHotPoker

You can slow down gently even in gps mode. Just slowly ease off the stick instead of just letting it go. When it comes to full throttle, just watch out for the propulsion limited warning message, assuming you're on a more current system and battery firmware. If not, just watch out the bird doesn't just fall out of the sky.

Reactions: bodine
You can slow down gently even in gps mode. Just slowly ease off the stick instead of just letting it go. When it comes to full throttle, just watch out for the propulsion limited warning message, assuming you're on a more current system and battery firmware. If not, just watch out the bird doesn't just fall out of the sky.

lol what.

This is what I'm trying to avoid, falling out of the sky, can't watch out for it if I don't know what will cause it :)

As for the system and battery? yea latest firmware.
you're saying there is a warning that will come up on the screen telling me "propulsion limited" ?? What exactly does this mean? what am I supposed to do when that message comes up? besides watching my bird fall out of the sky?

thanks

Give less throttle stick would be wise.
If one of your battery cells drops too low, say bye bye.

RedHotPoker

With newer firmware this is a good thing. It will prevent the bird from falling out of the sky by limiting propulsion if for any reason it senses it needs to. It's normally a momentary thing. I see it sometimes when I'm coming home full speed and my battery is in the 40% range. I've only seen it during full throttle at times- nothing else has brought the warning on. I simply ease up on the throttle a bit, is all.

HELP! My Propulsion output is limited!?

ok...

so what speeds are we talking about then? are you getting this message at 40mph? 43mph? I get that it will vary but there should be a range somewhere.

also, why did this firmware help? what was changed

I mean I hit around 35mph normally, no wind, tonight though, I was creeping up toward 50mph, got scared , switched to atti mode and slowly let off, (so it didn't hit the brakes so hard)
but I felt It would have hit about 60mph, how fast can this thing go before the computer cannot control its pitch/roll anymore?
100% throttle is quite safe.
In still air your P3 should achieve 35.7 mph or 16 m/sec.
In atti it can hitch a ride on the wind but this doesn't put an undue strain on the Phantom.
The flight controller will never lose control of the pitch and roll because of speed.

100% throttle is quite safe.
In still air your P3 should achieve 35.7 mph or 16 m/sec.
In atti it can hitch a ride on the wind but this doesn't put an undue strain on the Phantom.
The flight controller will never lose control of the pitch and roll because of speed.

ok, so I could easily hit a 20mph tail wind, push this thing over 60mph, it'll be safe?

ok, so I could easily hit a 20mph tail wind, push this thing over 60mph, it'll be safe?
Yes you are. I've gone 68mph with it and was fine. Just be careful not to get too far away with limited battery. And remember, if you can catch wind to go that fast, you have to fly through it to get back, and will be slower and taxing the motors more.

yep, it'll do sometimes only 16mph or so into the wind

That said, taxing the motors=more battery drain, but thats it correct? Or are you talking about other issues?

primarily battery drain. but, if you are lower(ish) battery and are going 100% throttle into 15-20mph wind, you can get the 'limited propulsion' message.

what i see is that some folks fly out a few miles with the wind, then don't realize they cannot make it back as they are now flying into a headwind, and have hit the drink.

primarily battery drain. but, if you are lower(ish) battery and are going 100% throttle into 15-20mph wind, you can get the 'limited propulsion' message.

what i see is that some folks fly out a few miles with the wind, then don't realize they cannot make it back as they are now flying into a headwind, and have hit the drink.

yep, that was me actually just recently, went 3 miles out, nice tail wind, forgot about the headwind :(

made it back though barely

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Yeah, face it. Best to fly into the wind going out, and have it help push you back towards home. If the wind direction don't shift along the way. ;-)

If I fly in relatively windy conditions, I like to keep it fairly close to my home point, and lower in elevations as well. Less room for error, if it goes south before I can happily land it safely. Oh yeah.

RedHotPoker

If your Phantom gets to 60 mph over the ground, it's because it's got a 25 mph boost from a tailwind, not because your Phantom is working any harder than normal.
Imagine swimming in a current ... swim downstream in a swift river and you'll go fast ... but not because you're working harder.
But just like the Phantom, you will have a hard time swimming back again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub