Safest Mix of Firmware & APP for Android OS

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a new P3A a few weeks ago and it came with 1.2.6. I went ahead and downgraded it to 1.1.9 (P3A & RC) and I am also using DJ Pilot APP 1.2.0 with my Asus MEMO 8.

My question is does anyone think with my current setup it would be wise to update to 1.3.2 FW and to the DJ GO APP 2.0.2? I went through the forums some, but so much mixed information to piece together to get a solid answer. I would love to hear from a bunch of different people on this if possible.

Thanks everyone!

This is just my opinion, but most of the things that go wrong with the FW updates is people don't install them right. Read the notes on how to update, watch some videos and do the update if you wish. I have updated all of them and so far "knock on wood" no problems. I am not saying it's ALL the people's fault but the majority.Example, this evening I uninstalled v2.0.0 of the Go app, and downloaded v2.0.2. I installed the new version turned the TX on Phantom3 Advanced then the Go App. Couldn't get it to connect, I thought WTF! So I shut the P3A off , then TX then shut off the tablet completely. Rebooted the tablet turned the TX on then the P3A. Started the Go App 2.0.2 and it all worked fine as far as I can tell. IT is raining so I didn't fly. Guess what I am trying to say just do what your comfortable with.

Galaxy note 4 lollipop 5.01 (fresh install).
Its winter going into spring in Aus with ambient temps of 18-20 celcius.
I disable VPS as don't fly indoors and I don't care about stability at ground level because I hand catch.
I also have the 32 channel hack and fly on channels 21-32.
DJI Pilot 1.20 and 1.1.9 firmware = no issues.
GO App 2.02 (auto upgrade) and 1.1.9 firmware = no issues
GO App 2.02 and firmware 1.3.2 = 2 flights, 2.5km, no issues

The issue with Android devices is fragmentation, there are too many manufacturers vs models vs firmware. Makes it difficult for a developer.
Its much simpler on apple as there is only 1 manufacturer and hence less firmware alternatives and less fragmentation.

Reactions: mosszaphod
This is just my opinion, but most of the things that go wrong with the FW updates is people don't install them right. Read the notes on how to update, watch some videos and do the update if you wish. I have updated all of them and so far "knock on wood" no problems. I am not saying it's ALL the people's fault but the majority.Example, this evening I uninstalled v2.0.0 of the Go app, and downloaded v2.0.2. I installed the new version turned the TX on Phantom3 Advanced then the Go App. Couldn't get it to connect, I thought WTF! So I shut the P3A off , then TX then shut off the tablet completely. Rebooted the tablet turned the TX on then the P3A. Started the Go App 2.0.2 and it all worked fine as far as I can tell. IT is raining so I didn't fly. Guess what I am trying to say just do what your comfortable with.
I'll +1 that.

There were a few people that had issues with 1.2.6 The vast majority didnt. 1.3.2 has almost nothing to complain about, and every iteration of new app worked fine. But everyone is going to have something different to say. Its almost pointless asking. You are going to do what YOU decide in the end anyway. So why not just make the decision and fly. Its not rocket science!! You will have a lot more fun the second you stop worrying about it! I Promise!!

Thanks guys for all the great replies and keep them coming :).

@steve - The reason I worry is because I don't want a $1200.00 machine flying away because of a known bug in the firmware or whatever. I would rather ask those who have been through the growing pains and learn from their mistakes and knowledge to put the odds of things going smooth in my favor is all.

Thanks again to all who have replied so far. Much appreciated.

My point was that NORMALLY there are just as many complaining about stuff NOT working as people saying it does. So in the end, you just have to dive in where you choose. At the end of the day, you can only blame yourself either way.

mine P3A came with v1.1.9 when i first got it, i upgraded all to newer firmware before i even take it out for first fly and everevery went without any problem cuz i did all the home work before that.

Thanks guys for all the great replies and keep them coming :).

@steve - The reason I worry is because I don't want a $1200.00 machine flying away because of a known bug in the firmware or whatever. I would rather ask those who have been through the growing pains and learn from their mistakes and knowledge to put the odds of things going smooth in my favor is all.

Thanks again to all who have replied so far. Much appreciated.
mosszaphod , no matter how many time I fly I still get nervous and my hands shake like a leaf in a tree, I think they call it "Adrenalin" the forum is all about asking questions, whether people think there dumb or otherwise. I have done my fare share and always will.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj