Safe/legal spot in north Fort Worth,TX ?

Reaction score
I am poised and ready to purchase a Mavic Pro, however, Before I do I would like to identify a safe and legal spot (without driving for hours) at which I will be able to spend time getting comfortable flying the MP. This would not be radical flying just becoming competent and knowledgeable. I have played around with cheaper mini-drones and rc cars for years but now would like to get a bit more serious and have some fun. My yard is too small and would not feel comfortable flying in the neighborhood.

Just want to start out on responsible footing... any suggestions ?

First would be to find out what the local, county and state laws are regarding drone flying restrictions in the area you are looking to fly. Once you determine that it is legal to fly in an area according to those laws, you then need to check if you will be within 5 miles of an airport. If so, as a recreational flyer, you need to let the airport know that you are about to fly in the area prior to doing so. Before ever flying in a new location, I use Google Earth for a general idea of potential obstacles and hazards (such as overhead wires) that may be in the area before flying.

Last edited:
First would be to find out what the local, county and state laws are regarding drone flying restrictions in the area you are looking to fly. Once you determine that it is legal to fly in an area according to those laws, you then need to check if you will be within 5 miles of an airport. If so, as a recreational flyer, you need to let the airport know that you are about to fly in the area prior to doing so. Before ever flying in a new location, I use Google Earth for a general idea of potential obstacles and hazards (such as overhead wires) that may be in the area before flying.

I am poised and ready to purchase a Mavic Pro, however, Before I do I would like to identify a safe and legal spot (without driving for hours) at which I will be able to spend time getting comfortable flying the MP. This would not be radical flying just becoming competent and knowledgeable. I have played around with cheaper mini-drones and rc cars for years but now would like to get a bit more serious and have some fun. My yard is too small and would not feel comfortable flying in the neighborhood.

Just want to start out on responsible footing... any suggestions ?
Mapmaker 53 has offered a good suggestion to make yourself aware of local, county, state rules regarding sUAS operations. That's a good starting point. Then, locate your intended flying location and become aware of FAA Airspace Regulations. Next, always check TFR's, (Temporary Flight Restrictions), that pop-up at a moments notice, for a variety of reasons, and supersede all other Airspace rules. Finally, notify all airports with-in (5) miles of your flight, prior to take-off. Here is a FAA Sectional chart of the North Fort Worth area. You can toggle between a Google Earth view & the Sectional chart to assist you in locating your location.I am happy to help you decipher the airspace, if you tell me where you are thinking of flying.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Assuming no higher level restrictions, parks with big open areas can be a good place to fly. Extremely important to read through city codes, however. Some municipalities do not allow remote control vehicles to be used in their parks.

If you do fly parks, I've found early morning and late evening to be the best times, there tends to be less people. It helps to have spotter as well, especially when you are just getting started.

Reactions: Crack The Sky

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj