S1 switch for RTH

Reaction score
I was thinking to set up the S1 switch (bottom position) to RTH, but not sure if it is a good idea or not. It could get switched accidentally.

Does anyone have experience of doing this?

If switched to RTH by that switch, what is the procedure to return control to the pilot?

Thanks
Rick

you need to change the flight mode to nasa with the phantom software.

never flicked it accidentally.

just flick switch back to return to normal gps mode (or atti)

In all my time, I only ever switched it down all the way to Failsafe once. And I spotted it right away, because my read LEDs started flashing and I had no control. I instantly deduced that I'd flipped the switch too far down by accident. You have 3 seconds to flip the switch back, which turned out to be enough for me.

Should the quad go into Failsafe, then flipping S1 from GPS to ATTI will relinquish control back to you, no worries.

Yep, I don't know how you can accidentaly flick it to RTH by mistake. It can happen when you keep your remote in a backpack but then again, when you start your phantom you have to flick then all back up anyway, so you need to check it.

When in flight (Naza mode) you can accidentally flick it to the bottom position, instead of middle Atti, but you can quickly correct it without any consequences.
Phantom will not initiate RTH until it waits a couple of seconds and only then it initiates RTH procedure.

Much worse can happen if instead of RTH you have manual mode selected on the bottom position... I tried my manual skills and boy, Hubsan is much easier to tame for me than this thing :)

un hombre said it best.

You'll either have to have it set to RTH, or on Manual.

Flipping it accidentally to RTH is infinitely better than accidentally flipping it to Manual.

Worst case with RTH is it takes some time off your flight as it comes back to you, or you regain control.

Worst case with Manual is that you don't recognize what happened in time, and you dive top down into someone or something at 50+mph.

I have my last flick switched to manual on s1. I accidentally hit it once and it was bad news

Had mine on failsafe accidently once... took me 10-15 mins to figure out why no R/C controls were working.. Couldn't even start up the engines.. and this was after a flight when I swapped over battery... was like "wtf I just flew it, how can it be stuffed!!" but yeah... figured out the "issue" the end :p

Definetly set it to failsafe/RTH as opposed to manual as others have said.

Yes, there are plenty of reasons to set it to Failsafe instead of Manual. That said, if there are any sudden GPS issues and your copter is going haywire inexplicably, then flipping to Manual may well safe your bacon, given that it's the only mode that it's just you flying it, i.e. no e-assistance. Obviously, the disclaimer here is that you need to know how to fly in Manual mode.

Then again, a controlled crash in your general flying area is probably better than a full-on fly-away, where pretty much anything can subsequently happen.

I have the Phantom 1.1.1. I had a hard time deciding what to select for S1 botton position.. Failsafe or manual. I am in manuaI . I would like to have failsafe rather than manual but figure if the gps goes wonky, I'm lost. I feel at least in manual I would have a chance to control it some rather than a fly away and get it down to the ground. I figure last resort I could turn transmitter off but again if gps is lost or goes crazy it will go where it wants to. One thing I like about manual is I will lift off in manual and immediately go to atti or gps. It pops right up rather than the slow spool up in gps which can lead to tip over. Question...what happens if in manual and loose connection with Phantom or turn tx off? I wish failsafe was a separate switch rather than having to make a choice. Is my thinking wrong?.

I have mine set to manual also. I tested S1 vs. shutting off transmitter and both ways have the same waiting period until it says returning home. I wait until it says returning home and then turn TX back on giving me the option of regaining control by switching S1 if needed. It stays in returning home mode if you don't switch S1. This gives me the added option of turning on manual control if I need it, which so far I haven't used.

I don't know if it immediately goes into ATTI when signal is lost when on manual or if it waits 3 seconds then returns home. If it does not go into ATTI mode immediately when in manual it could crash in the 3 second waiting time because it would have nothing stabilizing it. Maybe someone else will have this knowledge.

So, if you set it to FS, the manual says you then pull the right stick back, correct? Do you hold it there untill it comes home or just momentarily? Trying it today

According to the 'cheat sheet'manual posted on the site, you put the S1 switch in RH and pull the right stick? No?

I know that. Let me try another way. When you put S1 into Fail Safe mode or RTH (switch all the way down) do you also have to pull the right stick all the way down?

promocop said:
do you also have to pull the right stick all the way down?

You may be thinking of Home lock mode, where pulling the right stick all the way down makes the drone come back to the home point regardless of its orientation.

I guess some confusion is some terms are different on different models. I have the Phantom 1. Nothing says RTH. I have the term failsafe which is return to home if all goes well. I also don't have any feedback like the Visions like on a phone etc. As far as I know on mine, if it goes into failsafe, it just comes home with no stick input providing it had a good home position recorded and still has gps lock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers