S-OSD configure with ftdi having "Com port error"

Reaction score
I have tried many different things, including updating firmware and char.set. I have installed and uninstalled and tried as much as I can.
I just keep getting a Com port error.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What operating system are you using and is it a tablet or PC. How are you connecting and what software are you using. We need a little more details so we can help. Is the com port error comming from the assistant or from your OS.

A LOT more info. Did you install the FTDI driver?

I am not too familiar with this stuff, thanks for your interest in helping!

I am using windows 7 32b on a Dell pc. The Com port error is coming from the application on version 2.1.2 , I think it was. I installed the driver for Windows 7. I saw another driver for Windows 7 ce. I wasn't sure what the ce stands for so I avoided it. I assume the ce is another edition of windows that I don't have.

I feel like it is a driver problem because nothing happens at all when I plug the ftdi into my pc.
Thanks again for any help...much muchly appreciated

What operating system are you using and is it a tablet or PC. How are you connecting and what software are you using. We need a little more details so we can help. Is the com port error comming from the assistant or from your OS.
I have gotten the ftdi driver for Windows 7 and I think my above post has all the other info you said. I got a new message today from the application that "this action requires elevation"...I'm not sure what this means or how to fix it. It pops up when I try to update firmware or the char.set.

Any ideas? Thanks

A LOT more info. Did you install the FTDI driver?
I have gotten the driver to install, but when upgrading firmware I get a Com port error, and also a, "this action requires elevation" message.
See my above post as well for all my other info you asked for.

Thanks again for any help/ideas!

this action requires elevation
This is a Windows error. You can turn off UAC to see if that elevates your privileges on the PC. If that doesn't work then you need to be running as an administrator.

Reactions: dtitus6297
I saw another driver for Windows 7 ce.
"CE" means Compact Embedded. It is used when a PC is "embedded" in a product and just runs a single program when you turn it on. RedBox kiosks is an example of using Windows CE.

What does the "COM Port error" say?

What does the "COM Port error" say?
It just said "error opening Com port" . Sorry I thought it just said Com port error, but I went back and checked again and it said error opening Com port...not sure if that helps at all... thanks so much
I'm trying some things from above and I'll report back shortly

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

This error usually means that the port is in use by another program or does not exist.

This probly is a stupid question, but how do I know which port to use in the application at the bottom? In other videos, I have seen people with a drop down list and multiple ports to select from. Mine just has com5. I can type in other numbers, and I have tried multiple different ones with no success. HELP!!! thanks

Ok does the PC register the connection of the FTTDI device with sound feedback... "bong bing" :)

Check in the device manager - click start and in the search box type: devmgmt.msc this will open the device manager.
From here you should be able to locate the FTTDI device and the correct com port number. Probably COM 5...

There should be no warnings on the FTTDI device (no warnings on any device really).

Let us know what you see... you can also use the "Snipping tool" to take snap shots.. Click start - in the search type snip

Looks like I got it all working finally. I got another ftdi adapter I bought just for the heck of it and it worked immediately...sweet.

Thanks for all the help

Glad you got it working, me on the other hand... I was hooking my mini fpv camera up to the s-osd on my F550/E600 and somehow connected the main power feed to the camera instead of the 12v output from the bec. I hooked up the 6s lipo which was 22v. And all of a sudden I had magic smoke coming from the camera and s-osd. Well the osd and camera are done. I'm glad that was the only thing that burnt. I have another osd and camera on the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20