Running Phantom motors without props

Reaction score
I need to drain down a couple of batteries. Is it safe to remove the props from the Phantom and just run the motors until the batteries drain. I was not sure if the props helped to keep the motors cool.

Thanks

I do it all the time with no ill effects

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

+1 ^ You'll drain more power faster with the props on. I've also heard that its not good to run the motors unloaded but I think that just means full throttle, anything below should be fine.

Yep, I'd keep the props on. Propless for short periods is fine, but I don't run down batteries that way. Heck, if it's going to be running the phantom, I'd just fly it.

I did it on my vision and the motors started stuttering and making a weird noise every now and then. I was told I was over revving the motors. I think they need a load on them.

I know this is old but figured since I ran across it I'd post my knowledge on the subject for others.
I'm quoting from a DJI tech who stated,

"It is recommended not to turn on the electric motor especially those without rotating propellers, as it may lead to abrasion of the motor."

This statement is currently located in a write-up that can be found within the dji app from the forum regarding discharging your batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic